Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43 Likes Search this Thread
06-20-2022, 02:17 PM - 3 Likes   #1

I've inherited a massive camera collection from my father

Hello there, Pentax fans and collectors. My name is Sandy, and I've inherited quite a large camera collection from my father, who died sadly after battling cancer.

My dad was a locomotive/train photographer who took well over 100,000+ slide photos and film images in his lifetime, and I'm sure the world thanks him for that contribution. I know I do.

I've been around my dad's camera collection my entire life, though I have to re-learn what is in his kit. When I say his camera collection is extensive, I mean it really is (at least from my standards). So far, after logging just the Pentax-brand camera bodies and lenses that I've come across, I've totalled:
  • 108 camera bodies
  • 207 camera lenses
Any advice is welcome as I determine what to do next.

06-20-2022, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow, that is an extensive collection!

I think the Halton Train Museum or the Toronto Railway Museum might be interested in some of those photos of the trains, train travel, mechanicals and engineering etc,

Otherwise, I think you will find alot of information on the various pentax cameras and lenses here!
06-20-2022, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by sandycanvas Quote
Welcome to the forum, in terms advice... why don't you try out some of the cameras and see you enjoy photography.
06-20-2022, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums, Sandy. I'm so sorry for your loss...

My dad was a locomotive/train photographer who took well over 100,000+ slide photos and film images in his lifetime, and I'm sure the world thanks him for that contribution. I know I do.
Sounds like your Dad was a fascinating guy - and a busy photographer, amongst other things!

I've been around my dad's camera collection my entire life, though I have to re-learn what is in his kit. When I say his camera collection is extensive, I mean it really is (at least from my standards). So far, after logging just the Pentax-brand camera bodies and lenses that I've come across, I've totalled:

108 camera bodies
207 camera lenses

Would it seem flippant to suggest picking up a good book on photography and a few rolls of film, before deciding to do anything else? I'm only half joking...

06-20-2022, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First of all, I'm sorry for your loss. It was my mother's 90th birthday on Sunday, and the absence of my farther (who died nearly seven years ago now) was still keenly felt.

As to the photographic gear, I'm sure there will be a market for it if you have no use for it. Especially if it is well looked-after; with such a vast collection I suspect many items were probably only lightly used.

Depending on how much you know about Pentax, separating the lenses into their respective series (the several Takumar variants, SMC Pentax, Pentax-M, Pentax-A, Pentax-F, Pentax -FA, Pentax-DA and Pentax-DFA) and listing them by focal length and aperture would be a great start. All that information is written on the lens.

With the 35mm SLR cameras, broadly speaking there are three basic categories: M42 screw mount, K-mount film, and K-mount digital. I would start there.

Then of course, it's also possible there is some medium format stuff in the collection: 645 and 67/6x7.

If this is too much information, don't worry! There is plenty of help here if you're willing to ask
06-20-2022, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello there, Pentax fans and collectors. My name is Sandy, and I've inherited quite a large camera collection from my father, who died sadly after battling cancer.

• 108 camera bodies
  • 207 camera lenses
Inventory the stuff to see what you have would be a good first step.
06-20-2022, 04:07 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As an aside, off the top of my head I can think of at least a couple of keen Pentaxians, who live near you and might be willing to help in person. One in particular ( @MightyMike ) makes a living out of reselling second hand gear.

Just make sure they don't pinch all the good stuff before the rest of us see it

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 06-20-2022 at 04:15 PM.
06-20-2022, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry to hear about your father, you will miss him. Your photography collection is massive, I too would start by cataloging it. and note condition, things like hood, front and rear lens caps, etc on the lenses, Similar items on the cameras, including serial numbers on everything. In other words as much info as you can, because with that amount it might be hard to find any item to check something.
06-20-2022, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi Sandy,

I'm sorry for your loss, though it sounds like your father left you plenty of memories, and that's good.

It sounds like you are not terribly excited about keeping the collection, nor does it sound like you are eager to be the one to catalogue and sell it off.
I get that.

I don't know what the situation is in Toronto, but if there is a large camera shop around, especially if it is one your father frequented, they may be willing to consign your collection. If it a place you trust, that may be the best choice, and they may let you bring things in at your own pace. If they are really good, they'll list things online and help you find the best homes for everything.

I know some shops deal in estates, buying them all at once instead of consigning.
KEH used to do that a lot (and I'm sure they still do), but I don't know if they do Canada or the details of how that works now.
Back in the day, they would send someone to the home and do an estimate either on the spot or a bit later, depending on the size and quality of the collection.

There's always the risk if you use a third party that the expertise or attention paid to the collection is not as great as you would perhaps like and the prices end up low. There's also the reverse, that unrealistically high expectations prevent sales at realistic prices. And there's also the potential for fraud...

Unfortunately, there is no one perfect solution to this, and all of them likely involve pain of recall in the midst of what is probably plenty of that already.
I've seen people selling off the collections of their family members here on the marketplace, I've seen people basically give away their parents' things to spare themselves the pain of recollection, and I've seen lots in-between.

I hope whatever you choose brings you only happy recollections and excellent homes for your father's treasures.

-Eric
06-20-2022, 05:23 PM - 5 Likes   #10

Original Poster
Thank you all so far. To clarify and add to my note above, I'm VERY happy about this collection! There are SO many goodies in here, and I'm so thankful that my dad collected them—everything from 6X7s, LXs, Taks, and more. Each time he got a great new find at a market or on eBay, he'd celebrate by opening and "unboxing it" in front of me. I loved that part.

Also, over the last two days, I've cataloged 100% everything - lenses, bodies, w. serial numbers, manufacturer year, etc.
06-20-2022, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

• 108 camera bodies
  • 207 camera lenses
My heirs will face similar facts, except I have never owned more than 20 camera bodies in my life, one of which I gave to my older daughter, and several of which I have already trashed.

I would expect them to sell off my equipment at minimal effort to themselves, and hopefully find a good home for my photos.
My photos date back to 1967, so I’m trying to digitize everything to make them easier to handle.
My older daughter is a librarian, so I trust her to find one.
I’m afraid this is kind of vague, but that is the extent of my thinking.

Last edited by reh321; 06-20-2022 at 08:27 PM.
06-20-2022, 06:23 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you all so far. To clarify and add to my note above, I'm VERY happy about this collection! There are SO many goodies in here, and I'm so thankful that my dad collected them—everything from 6X7s, LXs, Taks, and more. Each time he got a great new find at a market or on eBay, he'd celebrate by opening and "unboxing it" in front of me. I loved that part.

Also, over the last two days, I've cataloged 100% everything - lenses, bodies, w. serial numbers, manufacturer year, etc.
What a great way to mark his large collection with memories. I'm very sorry for your loss but glad that you have the memories. One thing you might do is photograph the collection. That could be a meaningful project, especially if you set up the photos to show aspects of his personality and character.
06-21-2022, 01:18 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about your father. It sounds like he left you some very good stuff, I imagine you'll need to decide what to do with it all: sell or keep. Don't be in a rush, you might have some valuable items so worth taking your time over.

Is it possible that your father was a member of the forum here?
06-21-2022, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #14
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

• 108 camera bodies
  • 207 camera lenses
That is an impressive collection. I'm sure there are also some real gems in it. And welcome to the forum.

EDIT: If you can take a shot of the collection and post it here, it's something that is always appreciated by fellow members.
06-21-2022, 04:55 AM - 1 Like   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Is it possible that your father was a member of the forum here?
I've been trying to figure out what his username would have been if he had one on here This seems like a very popular forum.

Also, found 4 more camera bodies and another 5 lenses buried in the boxes, so the collection #s are increasing! Haha. Total is now:
  • 112 camera bodies
  • 212 camera lenses