Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2022, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sandycanvas Quote
Also, over the last two days, I've cataloged 100% everything - lenses, bodies, w. serial numbers, manufacturer year, etc.
You you plan to

1-keep the collection as is?

2-use it?

3-sell it or some of it?

On a usability standpoint, I'm guessing that a collector took good care so apart from stuff wearing out (the foam around light boxes in some cameras, for instance), it should be in working order. That being said, keep in mind that in this day of automated cameras and mobile phones, using older gear will take some dedication. Manual focusing, manual exposure, etc. It's not a problem, but the learning curve will be a bit steeper.

Also, it's probable that many of the items in the collection will have low to average monetary value. There is bound to be some fantastic items there, but some will have more sentimental value than monetary value. Even if they are optically very good. So if your plan is to sell some of it, you'll have highs and lows.

In any case, sorry for your loss, the enthusiasm with which you write makes me think you had a great relationship with your dad. That's the best treasure.

06-21-2022, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

I've been trying to figure out what his username would have been if he had one on here This seems like a very popular forum.
Sorry you lost him.

With his passion for trains you could try searching the forum for specific words such as "trains" or he might have posted specific photos with a more specific title. "trains" will get you a large list to wade through so a more specific search might be easier.
06-21-2022, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My dad was a locomotive/train photographer who took well over 100,000+ slide photos and film images in his lifetime, and I'm sure the world thanks him for that contribution. I know I do.
Is this all preserved? Is any of it available to view?

I've been around my dad's camera collection my entire life, though I have to re-learn what is in his kit. When I say his camera collection is extensive, I mean it really is (at least from my standards). So far, after logging just the Pentax-brand camera bodies and lenses that I've come across, I've totalled:
  • 108 camera bodies
  • 207 camera lenses
Any advice is welcome as I determine what to do next.
1) Create an inventory and also begin examining them for condition.

2) Think about what you want to do with the collection. Do you want to preserve this legacy along with the images or sell off much of the gear? Do you have a desire to use any of it for your own use? Is there a university or other school that might want this for a film photography curriculum? Do you want to sell portions (or all) of the gear?

In the end a lot will depend on your goals.
06-21-2022, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #19

Firstly, my deep condolences on your loss.

Secondly, regarding the set of equiment selfishly, I would give an arm and a leg to root through the lenses in order to fill out my collection.

There is a significant amount of money tied up in them. There must be a shop/workshop in Toronto which deals in sales of older equipment and with repairs. You'd need someone like that to look them over and evaluate them.

You could also put them up on EBay or Etsy, but that would involve a lot of work, both posting them up, then literally posting the article to the buyer. However, an expert might be able to sort them into lots, so that rather than selling lenses one by one, you'd be offering a single lot containing may 8 or 9 lenses at a time.

Te first thing I woud do in your case, though, would be selfish, and to pick a few of the bodies and the lenses that you like and/or remember. Maybe it's just me, but I think that older cameras are wonderful ornaments, and even if you don't intend to use them, they could serve an aesthetic purpose as well as being a nice reminder of your dad.

Good luck, and, again, my commiserations.

06-21-2022, 08:19 AM - 10 Likes   #20

Original Poster
Here are a few photos of my dad's collection. We are slowly working through them to learn their history and organize them accordingly.
Attached Images

06-21-2022, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #21
Forum Member

Sorry for your loss Sandycanvas.

Holy Cow, now THAT is a collection. Wowee Zowee !
06-21-2022, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here are a few photos of my dad's collection. We are slowly working through them to learn their history and organize them accordingly.
Wow!
Firstly, welcome to the forum Sandy.
My condolences with the loss of your dad.

That is some serious collection. Enjoy!

06-22-2022, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

WOW

06-22-2022, 03:53 AM - 1 Like   #24
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That is impressive collection. Even if you play only one day with each lens, it's gonna take a while to go thru them all

Thanks for the pics.