Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-21-2022, 03:18 AM - 1 Like   #1

Interest In Film Photography (H3v)

Hello!

I've been into photography for the past ~6 years using my Sony A6000. I primarily use manual lenses, two of which are adapted old Russian M42 mount (Helios 40 and Jupiter 11).

The Pentax H3v has peaked my interest as a gateway into a new hobby (and new debt) with the added benefit of using the same lenses across both platforms. From what I've read online, it seems the H3v is fairly reliable and (besides being fully mechanical) relatively user friendly.

I'm looking for guidance on the purchase of a H3v. There are many for sale that are tired and desperately need restoration, but at a very low cost. However, I found an option from Film Supply Club that costs quite a bit more ($325.00), but has a recent CLA completed and two lenses.

Please let me know as I'm excited to get a start in this new realm (for me) of photography!

07-21-2022, 04:33 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Until recently, I would have scoffed at such a price, but prices have gone up for everything…

That said, the value will depend somewhat on the lenses… and whether they add value to your kit or can help you recover some of your expense when you find them new homes.

A Takumar 50mm will have a different look from the Helios, for example.

If you have easy access to a repair shop, it might be worth it to find an inexpensive body and have it serviced as needed. I paid about $40 recently for a working S1a…

Either way, that generation of camera, while simple, is great fun to shoot with.

-Eric
07-21-2022, 05:25 AM   #3

Original Poster
Eric,

I didn't realize how much prices have gone up until I started researching on this Forum. Seeing posts from only a few years ago about people buying these for well under $100.00.

The kit that I mentioned has a Super-Takumar 135mm and a Super-Takumar 55mm. Together only sell for about ~$130.00 for nicer examples. I don't know a lot about those lenses, however, I've really enjoyed the character that each of the older lenses provides.

Thank you for the insight! I'm going to see if there are any local places that can handle repairs.

-Cody
07-21-2022, 06:12 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cody Quote
. . . I don't know a lot about those lenses, however, I've really enjoyed the character that each of the older lenses provides.

Thank you for the insight! I'm going to see if there are any local places that can handle repairs.

-Cody
in case you haven't found it yet, these sections of the forums could be helpful to you

information on lenses:

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

another good section of the forums with helpful links:

QuoteQuote:
Useful Pentax/Photo Resources, About
This section is intended to help you with any basic questions you may have about Pentax or photography, as well as technical issues you may be experiencing with your gear. Newbies are welcome here! Feel free to ask any question, no matter now simple (or seemingly obvious), but please post each question in a separate thread!

Useful Pentax/Photo Resources, About - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

possible repair options:

QuoteQuote:
US
KEH.com (GA, Most current and vintage gear)
Eric Hendrickson (Vintage cameras, Current and vintage lenses)
Precision Camera (Authorized to perform warranty service, NC)
Advance Camera (Most current and vintage gear, Portland, OR)
General Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Garry's Camera Repair (IL, select film SLRs)
International Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Halcyon Cameras | Vintage Camera Restoration (Vintage film cameras, San Diego, CA)
Camera Repair Japan (Services Sigma lenses and more, Atlanta, GA)
Allied Camera (MN, manual film cameras)
Bill Rogers Camera (LV, NV, film-era cameras and lenses)
Phototronic (Topeka, KS, film and digital camera repair)
Lezot's Camera Center (VT, film SLRs / medium format)
Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - Page 11 - PentaxForums.com

although not local to you, I have had good luck with Phototronic.biz here in Topeka KS

personally I have had good luck with dealing with other members when I am searching for " experienced " equipment, the forums' marketplace can be sorted by country:

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (United States) - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-21-2022 at 06:22 AM.
07-21-2022, 01:42 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Lots of good info given, I'll just say welcome aboard.
07-22-2022, 01:59 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you all for the help!

I wound up visiting a local camera shop the let me get hands on with multiple Pentax and other similar film cameras. I wasn't going to buy anything, but, I'm bad with money and left with a Spotmatic F! They didn't have the a H3v there and I actually really liked the built in light meter.

Can't wait to start shooting!
07-22-2022, 07:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum Cody!
Kind regards,
Mark
(New Zealand)

07-22-2022, 09:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cody Quote
Thank you all for the help!

I wound up visiting a local camera shop the let me get hands on with multiple Pentax and other similar film cameras. I wasn't going to buy anything, but, I'm bad with money and left with a Spotmatic F! They didn't have the a H3v there and I actually really liked the built in light meter.

Can't wait to start shooting!
That SPF is a fine choice, being newer. I have found, much to my dismay, that the older S series have older shutter curtains, that can "set" if unused, or usually have deterioration of the fabric or tapes. When a tape lets go due to old glue or fabric, you are faced with an expensive repair. I have a "K" and SV with that problem right now. I love the older Pentax versions, but this is something to keep in mind.
07-24-2022, 10:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums!
Congrats on the new camera.