Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2022, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #1

Newcomer, Wales

Hello. I'm a Fuji user with a few legacy M- and K-mount Pentax lenses. I've decided to go the route of a Pentax K-1 for landscape work to see the benefit of full frame and the end of slight worming artifacts that still plague Fuji images due to Lightroom's demosaicing process (as I understand it). I can't be bothered with Capture One so thought I'd take the plunge with a new system instead 😁. One of the lenses I do have is the Pentax-K 28mm f3.5, which I understand is a great option for landscape work, meaning I need only the body and not a body AND a lens. Anyway, I'm here to do some learning. Luckily a friend has a K-3ii or iii, so I've got someone local who knows his stuff (and does some great macro work), but I know this forum to be a great one.

Thank you.

Phil.

08-08-2022, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to Pentax Forums from Germany! There are lots of Fuji users here too, so you'll fit right in!
08-08-2022, 04:54 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Welcome to Pentax Forums from Germany! There are lots of Fuji users here too, so you'll fit right in!
I thought that would be the case in fairness! I think it'll be great to run the two systems side by side.
08-08-2022, 05:05 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I thought that would be the case! I'm looking forward to running the two systems side by side.

08-08-2022, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums!

One minor note: they are all K-mount lenses, M and "K" are just the series of the lens. K was never actually a Pentax designation, it's just shorthand developed by users/collectors for those K-mount lenses released before letters (M, A, F, FA, DA, DFA) started designating the lens series.

I would be interested to hear how you like the K1 as compared to your Fuji, particularly how you're getting along with manual focusing. The mirrorless cameras having focus aids available in the viewfinder is one thing that I've always envied.
08-08-2022, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Shwmae Phil! Ble yn Wales wyt ti'n byw?
Welcome to the forum - croeso o'r fforwm

Edit: I also have a Fuji!
08-08-2022, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
Welcome to the forums!

One minor note: they are all K-mount lenses, M and "K" are just the series of the lens. K was never actually a Pentax designation, it's just shorthand developed by users/collectors for those K-mount lenses released before letters (M, A, F, FA, DA, DFA) started designating the lens series.

I would be interested to hear how you like the K1 as compared to your Fuji, particularly how you're getting along with manual focusing. The mirrorless cameras having focus aids available in the viewfinder is one thing that I've always envied.
Thanks for the clarification ��. It's not any of those, so must be the original mount. In fact it's this one: SMC Pentax 28mm F3.5 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database. I used the lens out in the hills on Saturday and found that when I hit focus wide open and then stopped down, it was very decent. I'm very keen to see the difference between the X-T3 and K-1. I've had Canons in the past, including the 6D, so this isn't my first foray into FF. I do miss that camera for the big walkouts in the hills, and I rightly expect the K-1 to be a step or two beyond it in terms of quality.

I do have two M lenses - would they be usable on a K-1 without an adapter?

---------- Post added 08-08-22 at 06:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
Shwmae Phil! Ble yn Wales wyt ti'n byw?
Welcome to the forum - croeso o'r fforwm

Edit: I also have a Fuji!
Caerdydd mon frere/ffrindiau! I don't siarad Cymraeg though sadly. Thanks for getting in touch - what do you shoot on the Fuji? Presumably adapted Pentax lenses. Where are you based?

08-08-2022, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fuji.phil.e Quote
Thanks for the clarification ��. It's not any of those, so must be the original mount. In fact it's this one: SMC Pentax 28mm F3.5 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database. I used the lens out in the hills on Saturday and found that when I hit focus wide open and then stopped down, it was very decent. I'm very keen to see the difference between the X-T3 and K-1. I've had Canons in the past, including the 6D, so this isn't my first foray into FF. I do miss that camera for the big walkouts in the hills, and I rightly expect the K-1 to be a step or two beyond it in terms of quality.

---------- Post added 08-08-22 at 06:56 AM ----------

Caerdydd mon frere/ffrindiau! I don't siarad Cymraeg though sadly. Thanks for getting in touch - what do you shoot on the Fuji? Presumably adapted Pentax lenses. Where are you based?
Don't worry about the siarad yn gymraeg! I'm learning it now so I'm taking every opportunity to use it. Interestingly, no! I have a TTArtisan 35mm f/1.4 for it and that's about it, I did use a Konica 40mm f/1.8 on it for a short while but the adapter was cheap and not-so-cheerful so it doesn't focus to infinity.
I use my Sony A7iii for my Pentax lenses, though I've recently skimmed down to make way for a Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 that I LOVE.

I'm a stone's-throw away down in Swansea/Abertawe
08-08-2022, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes! M series lenses, like the SMC Pentax M 1:1.7 50mm, are also K mount and will work nicely on the K1. There are a few M lenses for 6x7 medium format, with a different (much larger) mount, but they would be labeled M* 67... and I doubt you have those (they also in this case all happen to be big telephotos). Some of the other series, like A, FA, and DFA, are also designations for 6x7 or 645 medium format lenses, but those will be labeled either "67" or "645."

Most Pentax lenses you're likely to encounter will be K-mount, and will work great on the K1. Backwards and forwards compatibility is one of the wonderful advantages of Pentax.
08-08-2022, 08:41 AM - 2 Likes   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
Yes! M series lenses, like the SMC Pentax M 1:1.7 50mm, are also K mount and will work nicely on the K1. There are a few M lenses for 6x7 medium format, with a different (much larger) mount, but they would be labeled M* 67... and I doubt you have those (they also in this case all happen to be big telephotos). Some of the other series, like A, FA, and DFA, are also designations for 6x7 or 645 medium format lenses, but those will be labeled either "67" or "645."

Most Pentax lenses you're likely to encounter will be K-mount, and will work great on the K1. Backwards and forwards compatibility is one of the wonderful advantages of Pentax.
I do have that 50mm lens in M-mount. Works very well on the Fuji. The other lens is the SMC Pentax-M* 1:4 300mm. I've taken some lovely bird shots with that lens. Sadly, it'll probably be sacrificed in a part-ex for the K-1 ��. I have the XF100-400mm for the Fuji so I'm sure I'll cope.

---------- Post added 08-08-22 at 08:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
Don't worry about the siarad yn gymraeg! I'm learning it now so I'm taking every opportunity to use it. Interestingly, no! I have a TTArtisan 35mm f/1.4 for it and that's about it, I did use a Konica 40mm f/1.8 on it for a short while but the adapter was cheap and not-so-cheerful so it doesn't focus to infinity.
I use my Sony A7iii for my Pentax lenses, though I've recently skimmed down to make way for a Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 that I LOVE.

I'm a stone's-throw away down in Swansea/Abertawe
I did consider the Sony route myself, but I'm halfway to Pentax with some lenses so it made sense. And the 36MP sensor will be a bonus. Might be down the Gower this weekend if we can sort our acts out. Used to stay there a lot. Swansea is well placed isn't it.
08-08-2022, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland.
08-08-2022, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I do have that 50mm lens in M-mount. Works very well on the Fuji. The other lens is the SMC Pentax-M* 1:4 300mm. I've taken some lovely bird shots with that lens. Sadly, it'll probably be sacrificed in a part-ex for the K-1 ��. I have the XF100-400mm for the Fuji so I'm sure I'll cope.

---------- Post added 08-08-22 at 08:43 AM ----------

I did consider the Sony route myself, but I'm halfway to Pentax with some lenses so it made sense. And the 36MP sensor will be a bonus. Might be down the Gower this weekend if we can sort our acts out. Used to stay there a lot. Swansea is well placed isn't it.
Oh fab! Make the most of the sunny weather! We'll have to go out for a 'photo walk' sometime if you're down this neck of the woods