Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
08-15-2022, 10:24 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, I am Guy, an Englishman living in Iowa USA

Hello,

I've lived in Iowa for the last 25 years but I am from England and Canada (a parent from each).
I inherited my Dad's Pentax ME Super in the 1980s and shot film for a while before I gave up photography.

I got my first digital camera in 2003 and my first DSLR in 2007, a Pentax K10D. A Kr followed that and about a year ago I got a K70 which I love. so much so, that I got one for my 21 year old son as well.

I hardly leave Iowa or my surrounding area. I like to photograph small town Iowa and rural Iowa so people have a feeling for life here and see the beauty in it that I see. There is a lot of decay and abandonment in some small towns, a reality of young people living rural areas. Abandoned Iowa is one of favorite themes.

For most of the last decade I shot with a Pentax 16-50. After a lull in photography I decided I wanted to start smaller and got a 40mm XS with my K70. I love that lens but found it a bit long so a couple of weeks ago I got a near mint condition 35 F2.0 off ebay for $180. I love this lens and plan only to shoot with it. It's a conscious choice to develop a photographic style and not have heavy kit.

I want to improve and learn more. I watch Youtube channels that focus on the creative process of photography like The Photographic Eye, The Art of Photography, Sean Tucker, and others. I take a few classes on Skillshare.com

Thanks to you all for keeping Pentax alive!

P.S. I have some recent work on Instagram Guy Harvey (@blisswithguy) ? Instagram photos and videos

08-15-2022, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to Pentax Forums from Germany!
08-15-2022, 01:03 PM - 2 Likes   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by guyK10D Quote
I am Guy, an Englishman living in Iowa USA
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland, your post title sounds like a song from a certain Mr Sumner, CBE.

https://youtu.be/d27gTrPPAyk?t=3
08-15-2022, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums.

08-15-2022, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to Pentax Forums from Tasmania, often referred to as part of Australia.

While I have too many lenses, I find that taking a single focal length lens can be very instructive, although I tend to think about it as forcing the photographer to consider a different approach to having multiple lenses or a zoom. You’re taking that further, it seems, as you say, to develop a style. Of course, many of the older members here did just that for years with a 35mm film camera and a 50mm lens.

We’ll be interested to see your work, so don’t be shy about presenting some of it here.
08-15-2022, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from New Zealand Guy!
08-15-2022, 03:28 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from western, New York State. Corporate farming has had a devastating effect on the rural communities of the Midwest. The local farmers all purchased their tools, seed etc from local shops. Corporations buy in bulk direct from the manufacturer eliminating the middleman so the local equipment, seed and hardware stores lose their customer base and close. Not sure that this is a positive thing.

08-16-2022, 03:06 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Hello,

I've lived in Iowa for the last 25 years but I am from England and Canada (a parent from each).
I inherited my Dad's Pentax ME Super in the 1980s and shot film for a while before I gave up photography.

I got my first digital camera in 2003 and my first DSLR in 2007, a Pentax K10D. A Kr followed that and about a year ago I got a K70 which I love. so much so, that I got one for my 21 year old son as well.

I hardly leave Iowa or my surrounding area. I like to photograph small town Iowa and rural Iowa so people have a feeling for life here and see the beauty in it that I see. There is a lot of decay and abandonment in some small towns, a reality of young people living rural areas. Abandoned Iowa is one of favorite themes.

For most of the last decade I shot with a Pentax 16-50. After a lull in photography I decided I wanted to start smaller and got a 40mm XS with my K70. I love that lens but found it a bit long so a couple of weeks ago I got a near mint condition 35 F2.0 off ebay for $180. I love this lens and plan only to shoot with it. It's a conscious choice to develop a photographic style and not have heavy kit.

I want to improve and learn more. I watch Youtube channels that focus on the creative process of photography like The Photographic Eye, The Art of Photography, Sean Tucker, and others. I take a few classes on Skillshare.com

Thanks to you all for keeping Pentax alive!

P.S. I have some recent work on Instagram Guy Harvey (@blisswithguy) ? Instagram photos and videos
Welcome to the forum.

I have had a look at your website and you've got some very good photographs there. Perhaps consider joining and participating in the Single in Challenge - great fun and concentrates the mind!
08-17-2022, 02:59 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
Welcome to the forum.

I have had a look at your website and you've got some very good photographs there. Perhaps consider joining and participating in the Single in Challenge - great fun and concentrates the mind!
Thanks for your kind comment Jeff. I'll try to figure out how the "Single in Challenge" works! I lived for a couple of years in Buckinghamshire. Nice countryside.
08-17-2022, 06:17 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for your kind comment Jeff. I'll try to figure out how the "Single in Challenge" works! I lived for a couple of years in Buckinghamshire. Nice countryside.
Here's some information about the "Single In Challenge": Single in August 2022 - PentaxForums.com
08-17-2022, 09:35 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums!
09-27-2022, 08:28 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi, I am also in rural Iowa. (Northeast Iowa). I started with a Pentax ME Super in the early 1980s, a law school graduation gift from my dad. I didn't advance much until about 8-years ago when I obtained a K200D, thereafter a K5, and now a K3. I have a collection of lenses, and instead of Instagram which seems to me to be parochial, I use Flickr to post photos, and import several onto this forum. I wanted to view your photos but since I am not an Instagram member, searching photos seems to be off-limits. Try Pentaxforums, and Flickr!

I see you haven't been back since August. I hope you will come back.
09-27-2022, 10:05 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome from an Des Moines-born Pentaxian now living in Alaska!
09-28-2022, 08:42 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
Hi, I am also in rural Iowa. (Northeast Iowa). I started with a Pentax ME Super in the early 1980s, a law school graduation gift from my dad. I didn't advance much until about 8-years ago when I obtained a K200D, thereafter a K5, and now a K3. I have a collection of lenses, and instead of Instagram which seems to me to be parochial, I use Flickr to post photos, and import several onto this forum. I wanted to view your photos but since I am not an Instagram member, searching photos seems to be off-limits. Try Pentaxforums, and Flickr!

I see you haven't been back since August. I hope you will come back.
Hey, great to meet another Pentaxian in Iowa. I've heard the NE is nice. I haven't been further than Davenport. That's cool about your ME Super!
I know Instagram sucks, I have a few friends on there. I was huge into Flickr many years ago, glad that it's still going. I'll try to figure out how to post here.
I have some photos of Iowa on my website and in the blog https://www.blisswithguy.com/
Thanks for connecting.
09-28-2022, 10:12 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey, great to meet another Pentaxian in Iowa. I've heard the NE is nice. I haven't been further than Davenport. That's cool about your ME Super!
I know Instagram sucks, I have a few friends on there. I was huge into Flickr many years ago, glad that it's still going. I'll try to figure out how to post here.
I have some photos of Iowa on my website and in the blog https://www.blisswithguy.com/
Thanks for connecting.
NE Iowa along the Mississippi River is the "Driftless Area." It is remarkable for it landscapes, hills, and bluffs along the river. In the last ice age, the glacier went around but not down the Mississippi River area extending south to about Clinton, and north well into Minnesota. Where the glacier went, it leveled everything. Where it didn't go (down the river valley) we have majestic bluffs, overlooks, hills, and valleys. It is scenic, and since you are now an Iowan, you need to spend a weekend or more experiencing your state and region. I am viewing your posts on your link.