Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2022, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #1

Retiring and desiring an upgrade

Hi all,
I own a K1000 and a K100D Super. The K1000 will always be mine, but as much as I like the K100D Super, I want to upgrade. I love bird photography and the Super has such funky (slow at telephoto) auto focus I often loose a good shot. Should I go with a K70 (I'm an amateur) or spend the extra $1000 for the K-3? I don't need a full format camera like the K-1, or do I. The difference is $100. Suggestions are welcome.

08-27-2022, 03:47 PM - 5 Likes   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by phitchr Quote
The difference is $100. Suggestions are welcome.
First, Welcome to the forum.
As to your question; I cannot begin to estimate the money I've wasted over the years by trying to "make do" instead of buying what I really wanted in the first place. I have often bought something cheaper, then wished I hadn't and then bought the more expensive one then wondered what to do with the first one.
Obviously what you can comfortably afford is the overriding factor but, for the sake of argument, let's say you can afford both A and B. You want A but B is 1/3 cheaper. Have you ever bought something that was exactly what you wanted and later said "Gee, I wish I'd bought something I didn't really want instead"?
08-27-2022, 03:57 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K3iii in a heartbeat, the AF will really make bird photography fun, especially if you’ve got the 55-300 or 150-450
K1ii AF is still on the slow side if birds are your main subject
08-27-2022, 04:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Right now, the K-3iii is said to be unsurpassed amongst Pentax cameras for birds in flight.

08-27-2022, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums!

That's a tough question, since it's very much about the budget. K3iii will definitely be better at AF (and in many other ways) than K70. You could also look at some intermediately priced options, like a KP or K3ii, either of which you will likely need to buy used. Any of those cameras will be better in a lot of ways than your K100D Super (my first DSLR, of which I have fond memories). The K70 is very capable, though, and a great bargain. In my mind its main drawback is the less robust build quality compared to the higher end Pentax models.

You probably should not consider the K1 or K1ii. You are better off with an APSC sensor camera for the "crop factor," which "increases the reach" of the lenses you use. Some people have problems with those terms, but the concept is sound: APSC bodies are generally a better choice for birding/wildlife.

Another important consideration is the lens you will be using, since birding really does require quite a bit of reach. The main current choices for bird/wildlife shooting on Pentax are the DA 55-300 PLM, the DA* 300, and the DFA 15-450. If you don't have one of those (or one of their older counterparts, or another good 300mm+ option), you may want to keep that in mind when budgeting. The good news is that the 55-300 PLM is a good option, a good value, and a super fast focusing lens. DA*300 is an excellent lens with terrific IQ, but is not fast to focus. The 150-450 is probably the best you can do, but expensive and large.

Bottom line, the K3iii will be quite a bit better if you can afford it, but you will also want to have your lens situation well sorted for a satisfying birding experience. Only you can decide whether the extra money is worth spending on your hobby.
08-27-2022, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi all,
I own a K1000 and a K100D Super. The K1000 will always be mine, but as much as I like the K100D Super, I want to upgrade. I love bird photography and the Super has such funky (slow at telephoto) auto focus I often loose a good shot. Should I go with a K70 (I'm an amateur) or spend the extra $1000 for the K-3? I don't need a full format camera like the K-1, or do I. The difference is $100. Suggestions are welcome.
K3iii with a good lens is the best Pentax for birding. However - compared to the k100D super… all recent Pentax models are going to do well.

Let’s start with what lenses you have and what birds you want to capture at what distance. The k-70, plus an hd da 55-300plm will probably do better in many situations than a k3iii and an smc fa 100-300. Lenses make a difference optically and in terms of speed of focusing and tracking.

So thinking about the total budget and what lenses you have… what do you need to add?
08-28-2022, 03:55 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
Welcome to the forums!

That's a tough question, since it's very much about the budget. K3iii will definitely be better at AF (and in many other ways) than K70. You could also look at some intermediately priced options, like a KP or K3ii, either of which you will likely need to buy used. Any of those cameras will be better in a lot of ways than your K100D Super (my first DSLR, of which I have fond memories). The K70 is very capable, though, and a great bargain. In my mind its main drawback is the less robust build quality compared to the higher end Pentax models.

You probably should not consider the K1 or K1ii. You are better off with an APSC sensor camera for the "crop factor," which "increases the reach" of the lenses you use. Some people have problems with those terms, but the concept is sound: APSC bodies are generally a better choice for birding/wildlife.

Another important consideration is the lens you will be using, since birding really does require quite a bit of reach. The main current choices for bird/wildlife shooting on Pentax are the DA 55-300 PLM, the DA* 300, and the DFA 15-450. If you don't have one of those (or one of their older counterparts, or another good 300mm+ option), you may want to keep that in mind when budgeting. The good news is that the 55-300 PLM is a good option, a good value, and a super fast focusing lens. DA*300 is an excellent lens with terrific IQ, but is not fast to focus. The 150-450 is probably the best you can do, but expensive and large.

Bottom line, the K3iii will be quite a bit better if you can afford it, but you will also want to have your lens situation well sorted for a satisfying birding experience. Only you can decide whether the extra money is worth spending on your hobby.
Fully agreeing with above, but I will try to give some additional considerations:
K-3III and the 55-300 PLM are the latest technology in camera and lens, especially for fast autofocus. New, expensive body and probably what you like for birds in flight challenging your autofocus. Also compact!
If you need more reach , the more expensive lens pentax 150-450 lens is better and still has electronic autofocus motor but of bit older generation. Focusing will still be swift. But it is also big lens and less suited for hiking and hanging it on a camera+neckstrap for quick handheld shooting... handheld works, but carrying it is more , well, heavy.
The Da300 is probably better if you shoot in evening light, you gain a (few) stop(s).

If you have some older tele lenses, they are probably screwdrive autofocus, using the noisier and slower cameramotor for focusing. Will still work for birding focussing ( like not everyone drives porsche or ferrari’s , but other cars can be reasonably fast).
Any recent 24MP Body like K70, any K3, KP (some only secondhand) are very good options and price efficient options. They have good recent image sensors and good autofocus systems. As you come from older camera, the improvement will feel hugely pleasing. Also the more recent in camera body image stabilisation (IBIS) will improve your shooting a lot, it can compensate and allowing a few extra stops of light (3 to 5!)
They also work fine (and fast) with new lenses with electronic motor focus (Pentax SDM or PLM, Sigma HSM), so you can still benefit from a lens upgrade(later on). I moved from a K3-II with an old screwdrive 55-300 to the 150-450 and was impressed by the increased focus (&image) performance ... , but keep the old for my lightweight lens option.

08-28-2022, 05:22 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

I think it might all depend on how much photography is going to be as a part of your retirement..... the more it is likely to be a significant interest the more I'd spend on a K3iii versus the 70.... also... we are mostly amateurs here.... so I wouldn't sweat that. I retired at 48 and am now over 60.... and still enjoy adding to my gear every now and again.... retirement is just a new begining for the most part.

I'd get the K3iii.... and sneak a pre owned K1 at a later stage..... then do the annual birthday/xmas lens thing.
08-28-2022, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, there are many here to spend your money, you'll not be needing any of my assistance to do that.

Enjoy you retirement.
08-28-2022, 08:40 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I think it might all depend on how much photography is going to be as a part of your retirement..... the more it is likely to be a significant interest the more I'd spend on a K3iii versus the 70.... also... we are mostly amateurs here.... so I wouldn't sweat that. I retired at 48 and am now over 60.... and still enjoy adding to my gear every now and again.... retirement is just a new begining for the most part.

I'd get the K3iii.... and sneak a pre owned K1 at a later stage..... then do the annual birthday/xmas lens thing.
Thanks so much for your response. As you see with the K100D Super, I don't buy randomly. I have a DA 18-55 and DA 50-200. I probably also need a longer lease, but haven't because the K100 autofocus is so wonky at long focal lengths. I'm thinking budget wise if I can't go a K-3, maybe a used K-2 and a lease at 300 plus.
08-28-2022, 08:40 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, there are many here to spend your money, you'll not be needing any of my assistance to do that.

Enjoy you retirement.
Thanks!
08-28-2022, 08:43 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote

Thanks, I believe an APSC is my best option. I had a Canon A-1, not an AE-1 and it was stellar for film. I got into the Pentax world with a used K-1000. After adding some good lenses, I decided that I really liked the Pentax and went to the K100D. Being a solid believer, I'm going with the Pentax world and probably now thinking a K-3 or used K-2. Appreciate the input.
08-28-2022, 08:47 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
Fully agreeing with above, but I will try to give some additional considerations:
K-3III and the 55-300 PLM are the latest technology in camera and lens, especially for fast autofocus. New, expensive body and probably what you like for birds in flight challenging your autofocus. Also compact!
If you need more reach , the more expensive lens pentax 150-450 lens is better and still has electronic autofocus motor but of bit older generation. Focusing will still be swift. But it is also big lens and less suited for hiking and hanging it on a camera+neckstrap for quick handheld shooting... handheld works, but carrying it is more , well, heavy.
The Da300 is probably better if you shoot in evening light, you gain a (few) stop(s).

If you have some older tele lenses, they are probably screwdrive autofocus, using the noisier and slower cameramotor for focusing. Will still work for birding focussing ( like not everyone drives porsche or ferrari’s , but other cars can be reasonably fast).
Any recent 24MP Body like K70, any K3, KP (some only secondhand) are very good options and price efficient options. They have good recent image sensors and good autofocus systems. As you come from older camera, the improvement will feel hugely pleasing. Also the more recent in camera body image stabilisation (IBIS) will improve your shooting a lot, it can compensate and allowing a few extra stops of light (3 to 5!)
They also work fine (and fast) with new lenses with electronic motor focus (Pentax SDM or PLM, Sigma HSM), so you can still benefit from a lens upgrade(later on). I moved from a K3-II with an old screwdrive 55-300 to the 150-450 and was impressed by the increased focus (&image) performance ... , but keep the old for my lightweight lens option.
Thanks for the thorough reply. Since autofocus is my biggest negative, I'm sure any improvement will be awesome. As you can see the I don't buy the next thing out, I'm looking long term, so a K-3 or K-2 used may be my best investment. Also, since my longest lens is a DA 50-200, I should also consider a 300+.
My hesitation has been that the K100D got even slower the longer length I used. At 200, it often became miserable.

---------- Post added 08-28-22 at 08:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote

Enjoy you retirement.
Thanks, probably not! I do spend for the long term though.
08-28-2022, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for all your input! I purchased a used K-3 Mark ii. I hope the price of 500 was reasonable. It has to be a big upgrade for my K100D Super.
08-28-2022, 09:51 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for all your input! I purchased a used K-3 Mark ii. I hope the price of 500 was reasonable. It has to be a big upgrade for my K100D Super.
Seems rational. I own the original k-3 and it is a great camera. I went from k100d super to k-50 to k-3 to KP. I still own all but the k-50.