Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
One of the 375 Wooters who bought a K100D on Thursday

I've never had anything more than point and shoot cameras. I have a Pentax Optio M50 that I also got from Woot a couple months ago, it is a great camera, but when I saw the K100D on Woot for a reasonable price, I decided it was time to take the next step and go DSLR. I've never even held any SLR, let alone a DSLR, so I am relatively clueless, but have been doing a lot of reading. I don't have a lens ordered yet, I'm considering getting a cheap 'fast 50' to play around with until I get enough cash together for that nice Pentax DA 18-55mm AL II 'kit lens'.

12-20-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase, I'm sure you won't regret it.
As far as fast fifties go, the FA 50 1.4 is still a bargain at about $200 from amazon. Check out the marketplace as well on this forum, you may find a well priced kit lens there.
12-20-2008, 07:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

congrats on the purchase, welcome to the club!!

...get you an old 50mm for cheap (like this) and you'll have a lot of fun...
12-20-2008, 07:05 PM   #4

Congrats! Make sure you read up on altering the in camera settings for Jpeg's if you want to get decent images (in jpeg, of course) out of the camera. If you shoot raw, and are on a budget (which it sounds like you are), check out some of the freeware image processing programs such as GIMP or FASTONE. Enjoy...

12-20-2008, 08:13 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eclipsed450 Quote
congrats on the purchase, welcome to the club!!

...get you an old 50mm for cheap (like this) and you'll have a lot of fun...
That is the one I'm considering actually, I think it would be good to have a manual instead of an auto focus, partially because it is cheaper, but mostly because it will force me to learn.

Since this isn't my main hobby, I'm not going to go all out on expensive equipment. I'll mostly be looking at lenses in the $150 and lower range. Can't have this cutting too far into my main passion, my photography budget is tight so I can spend way too much money on old cars that any sane person would think shouldn't be on the road anymore.

As for software, I've been using Gimp and CinePaint for a while. I am a little limited in software selection, since I don't use Windows, but in the 6 years I've been using Linux exclusively, I can't say that it has really limited what I am capable of.
12-21-2008, 12:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
That is the one I'm considering actually, I think it would be good to have a manual instead of an auto focus, partially because it is cheaper, but mostly because it will force me to learn.

Since this isn't my main hobby, I'm not going to go all out on expensive equipment. I'll mostly be looking at lenses in the $150 and lower range. Can't have this cutting too far into my main passion, my photography budget is tight so I can spend way too much money on old cars that any sane person would think shouldn't be on the road anymore.

As for software, I've been using Gimp and CinePaint for a while. I am a little limited in software selection, since I don't use Windows, but in the 6 years I've been using Linux exclusively, I can't say that it has really limited what I am capable of.
I have a K100DS and the M 50mm f1.4 and also use Gimp and CinePaint if I'm in Linux. It all works together very smoothly. Tack on Ufraw if you decide to shoot RAW and you have everything you need. Enjoy.
12-21-2008, 12:55 AM   #7

Darn that Woot. It was just too good a deal to pass up, so I'm also jumping on the bandwagon. Thankfully though, my dad has a couple Spotmatics and associated lenses, so I also ordered a screw-K-mount adapter (the ones that supposedly allow infinity focus) and will be raiding his stash soon.
12-21-2008, 04:10 AM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I wondered what on earth a Wooter was.

Reading the other posts on this thread I'm guessing it's a retail outlet over there in the United States.

Enjoy your new purchase.