Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2022, 03:04 AM   #1

Newbie to Pentax

Have inherited a K100D , from a dear friend, who's died too soon : & found its frame count is below 5k having been built in 2002 !

I'm not new to 35mm or D/SLRs - having owned mainly Canons since the 70s & still fall back to my G9 Power shot . & various odd Pentax 35mm , like the ubiquitous ME super , for a while

Anyway my question is a recent 1st experience - in anger- about using the K100D - seems to me that the shutter fires on releasing the shutting button , having held it pressed ?
  • This is completely new to me & completely foxed my shot timing, at a family wedding .
  • Is this a setting that can be adjusted - or a Pentax/K100 thing ?
  • Im well accustomed to the half push to meter

Its gonna take a lot of practice to retime my thinking , after decades of everything is push to shoot ?

Many thanx for listening to an oldies moan

10-04-2022, 04:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This sounds weird and is not normal.

It may be some customization setting that makes it behave like this, but I do not really understand what it could be.
Or it may be a defect shutter button. Maybe the camera has not been used for a long time and oxidation have been building up in the shutter button causing this.
You can try setting the camera in the auto/green mode which should reset most custom settings. Or do a complete rest of camera settings.

Also make sure you use good quality batteries, as cameras using AA-batteries may be sensitive to lower voltage on old worn or low quality batteries.
(Not that I ever heard of this issue being caused by bad batteries)
10-04-2022, 05:11 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own both a k100d and a k100d super. Iíve never encountered this problem. That isnít how the k100D shutter release normally works. Iím unaware of a setting that would cause that behavior. Several drive modes could make it seem like thatís how it works, you may want to start by checking the drive mode and making sure it is set to single frame mode and not set to two second self timer or bulb. If that isnít the case Iíd suggest following the advice above and reset the camera to defaults.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 10-10-2022 at 06:26 AM.
10-04-2022, 12:15 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, hope your get your issue resolved promptly

10-04-2022, 06:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Could it be set up for back-button focus, with a setting that the shutter button acts only as a shutter release? I know there is such a setting on more modern Pentax bodies.
10-05-2022, 12:16 AM   #6

Original Poster
Many Thanx, I'll look at how to reset it. Batteries are rechargeable paired type.
Lots of possibles.
10-06-2022, 03:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums from Germany! Hoping your issues get solved rapidly.

10-09-2022, 04:22 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from New Zealand!
I've never encountered the issue you're having, so it's a weird one!
10-10-2022, 06:26 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Turunch Quote
Many Thanx, I'll look at how to reset it. Batteries are rechargeable paired type.
Lots of possibles.
Any luck?