Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2022, 09:23 PM   #1

hello from Taiwan!

Hello everyone,
I am so happy to join this community. If not for this community and the problem solving threads that many of you have posted, I will have no idea on how to solve the fixed red vertical line (that seems to be a stuck pixel) on my newly acquired pentax 645d (shutter count >100,000, and still running strong). It is also because of this community that I have dived into the sweet embrace of pentax 67 and pentax 645n. So a big shout out to many of you who have contributed to this forum. Thanks once again!
sincerely, james lee

10-09-2022, 09:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. A whole red line does not sound like simply a dead pixel! Good luck - I hope someone has the answer.
10-10-2022, 07:18 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to PentaxForums! We have a very friendly, helpful community here, so perhaps our 67 and 645 expert can assist.
10-10-2022, 07:21 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland

10-10-2022, 07:21 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, we are a friendly and helpful bunch as you discovered, with a number of very experienced Pentax medium-format users.

Welcome to our forums from Central Florida.
10-10-2022, 01:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums.
10-11-2022, 08:02 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

10-11-2022, 08:10 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums from Germany! Did you fix your issue?
10-11-2022, 09:18 AM   #9

Original Poster
Hi there,

I tried to post this reply under this thread but failed (it stated that the post was more than 1 year ago): 645D vertical red line - problem solved??? - PentaxForums.com

Thank you @VSTAR for posting this thread. This post show up on top of the google search when I keyed in the search words "pentax 645d red vertical line high iso". Your post has help me a lot in solving the similar issue that I have faced. I have recently purchased a 2nd hand Pentax 645d ( shutter counts > 100,000). I think it is appropriate to write this feedback reply as this thread has helped me a lot in solving this issue.

The pentax 645d that I have recently purchased was running on firmware 1.31 version.

I was very happy with the photos that I took under ISO 100 and 200. However when I did the pixel peeping, I immediately noticed two bright green and red dot on the right lower portion of the photo with vertical red lines extending to the bottom of the photo. The problem seems to be more obvious with ISO >800 as the OP has noted. I was pretty dismayed when I encountered this problem. Having the P645D was like a dream come true. Although not obvious unless enlarged and I don't think it is going to effect my print out on A4 size photo, it does somehow rendered me sleepless for 2 nights. See the following photo for the description that I have stated above:
V131 before pxlmaping.JPG - Google Drive
V131 before pxlmaping_enlarged.jpg - Google Drive
V131 before pxlmaping_enlarge2.jpg - Google Drive

Following the thread as previously posted, I ran the pixel mapping on 645d. After the mapping, the initial red lines disappeared. However, a new and longer red vertical line was noted proximal to the medial aspect of the previous red line, and this gave me the 2nd sleepless night....
V131 after pxlmaping.JPG - Google Drive
V131 after pxlmaping_enlarged.jpg - Google Drive

I then updated my firmware to version 1.33 and then ran the pixel mapping again. The following is the satisfactory results with complete resolution of previously noted red lines and bright dots.
V133 after pxlmaping.JPG - Google Drive
V133 after pxlmaping_Enlarged.jpg - Google Drive
V133 after pxlmaping_Enlarged2.jpg - Google Drive

Just as I thought that the problems have went away, when I shoot again that night with high ISO 1600, a very faint line was still barely noted. But it is so thin and barely noticeable.
V133 after pxlmapping_very thin line.JPG - Google Drive
V133 after pxlmapping_very thin line_enlarged.jpg - Google Drive

This is another sample of the most recent photo after pixel mapping under version 1.33, two very thin faint vertical lines are noted:
V133 after pxlmaping very thing line high iso1600.JPG - Google Drive
V133 after pxlmaping very thing line high iso1600_enlarged.jpg - Google Drive

Thank you guys for the help. I really appreciate this. I think the currently faint thin lines will not effect the final photo output in anyway.