Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2008, 02:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
HI from MN by confused new K100D owner

Well I said a lot in the title but here is my problem. I thought I understood that all Pentax mounts could be used on the K100D but now I am reading that the K mount may not be so universal. So I am confused about mounts and in general about lens designations. I do know what the screw mount lenses are since I already own a couple of them that have had adapters on them for use on my old Canon manual focus bodies. What has led to this conversion for me is my 300 mm f4 Super Takumar telephoto. I have used it (with it's FD adapter) in front of a 1.4x, 1.5x, 2x teleconverters and it is nothing short of a wow. The only better lens I have for super long range is an f8 800 mm refractive Tokina something or other that gives great results that I can use with a 1.4x teleconverter! But I prefer to use it without further help and just crop.
I also sail my 34 footer, occasionally look up at the night sky through telescopes, read a lot, work on boat, auto, home projects and design innovative things to solve my problems. Was a mainframe computer guy and manager but now retired and wondering how I was talked into moving to Minnesota in 91 by my wife. I miss the last 8 warm winters! 2008-09 looks to be ccccold.

12-22-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, most nearly all Pentax lenses will fit your body with various levels of functionality, that's the joy of being a Pentax owner.
12-22-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
Well I said a lot in the title but here is my problem. I thought I understood that all Pentax mounts could be used on the K100D but now I am reading that the K mount may not be so universal. So I am confused about mounts and in general about lens designations. I do know what the screw mount lenses are since I already own a couple of them that have had adapters on them for use on my old Canon manual focus bodies. What has led to this conversion for me is my 300 mm f4 Super Takumar telephoto. I have used it (with it's FD adapter) in front of a 1.4x, 1.5x, 2x teleconverters and it is nothing short of a wow. The only better lens I have for super long range is an f8 800 mm refractive Tokina something or other that gives great results that I can use with a 1.4x teleconverter! But I prefer to use it without further help and just crop.
I also sail my 34 footer, occasionally look up at the night sky through telescopes, read a lot, work on boat, auto, home projects and design innovative things to solve my problems. Was a mainframe computer guy and manager but now retired and wondering how I was talked into moving to Minnesota in 91 by my wife. I miss the last 8 warm winters! 2008-09 looks to be ccccold.

Hello fellow Minnesotan! Welcome to the forum! What part of the great state of MN do you hail from? You say you have a sailboat. Any chance you are in the Lake City area?
12-23-2008, 06:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
You're welcome to come down to sunny South Australia any time to warm up and shoot some great Outback photos.
I have a K100DS. You'll be amazed at what you can stick on the body. Check out the Off-Brand thread on the Lenses forum.
Look forward to seeing some of your pics.

01-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I am no longer confused! I am quite happy with my K100D and have fired it over a thousand time so far! Ok. most of those were learning shots but I am learning and find it quite easy to work with. PLUS when I load images into my IMac I am always pleasantly surprised with the quality, clarity, color well just everything about the camera. I have used my 300mm Takumar with it and WOW. I have been able to use my f6.3 Vivitar 500mm with it and did not expect to be able to see through it stopped down to f11 or f16 but I did and took a couple of fair shots. I can't really go outside and shoot with those in -10 F weather but I did shoot through a window so I can not completely fault camera and lens. I found the results from the 50 - 200 kit lens only so so but I do not have to depend on it in that range. I am so happy with the K100D that I am selling my Canon manual focus and autofocus stuff. Now I have to find the threads to fire off questions.