Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
11-29-2022, 07:18 PM - 2 Likes   #1

New member! K70 on the way.

pretty excited about my new camera. This is my first DSLR camera. I got the 18-135mm lens in the kit and added the "Pentax HD DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Telephoto Zoom Lens" as well.
Any advice on where to start with this setup would be greatly appreciated!

11-29-2022, 07:39 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome!

Welcome!

I don't have a K-70, but I have both of the lenses you bought. They are the two that I use the most. (I also frequently use the H DA 35 mm (Macro) F/2.8. A beautiful prime with 1:1 macro capabilities.)

The K-70 E book is probably as good a place to start as any if you are new to Pentax DSLRs. (I have the corresponding ones for my camera. Much more "narrative" than the official Owners Manuals.)

Pentax eBook Downloads - Now on PF! (purchase here for instant access) - PentaxForums.com
I'd also make sure that your firmware is up to date. The firmware itself can be found on the Ricoh site. A search of our Forum will help you install it.
Enjoy!
11-29-2022, 07:53 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The REAL question is what images do you find enjoyment in re-seeing? I like landscapes, wild/plant/shroomlife, interesting human tidbits. Others like recording people, scenes, stories. Pets, toys, trains, planes, kids, sports, architecture...the list goes on and on and on.

[Hint: Stay away from serious birding. That way lies the consequences of obsession like bankruptcy, marital discord, and obsessional behavior. :-) ]
11-29-2022, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #4

The K-70 with the 18-135 was my first digital combo. You've got a lot of camera coming your way. This combo was my only digital rig for two years and it is terrific to learn on. First thing I would do different, DO NOT USE THE HDR LANDSCAPE CUSTOM USER MODE. Turn HDR off. Just don't use it. I have never had any luck with it. I'm sure there is a situation it is useful, but I haven't found it. To start I would say read the manual and learn what the camera is capable of. My first Pentax was a Hv3 film body, and because of cost of film and developing, I decided to get a digital body to get better at photography and only used manual focus and didn't use the lcd for over a year. Once I finally just learned how to use the camera I was blown away at what I had been avoiding for so long. So definitely learn what features and functions are available to you and use them. Of course above all have fun, shoot everything you can get in front of your camera and don't stop experimenting. Oh yea, welcome to the forum.

---------- Post added 11-29-22 at 09:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
The REAL question is what images do you find enjoyment in re-seeing? I like landscapes, wild/plant/shroomlife, interesting human tidbits. Others like recording people, scenes, stories. Pets, toys, trains, planes, kids, sports, architecture...the list goes on and on and on.

[Hint: Stay away from serious birding. That way lies the consequences of obsession like bankruptcy, marital discord, and obsessional behavior. :-) ]
yyyeeeaaaa... I agree. You don't want to have to afford birding. Enjoy the simple life.

11-29-2022, 09:11 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PL4NZ Quote
pretty excited about my new camera. This is my first DSLR camera. I got the 18-135mm lens in the kit and added the "Pentax HD DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Telephoto Zoom Lens" as well.
Welcome to the forum!
And, I see Christmas has come early. Congrats!
11-30-2022, 01:54 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Exciting times, eh? Welcome to the Forum.

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote

Well, that's sort of true......I bought my KP in July/August 2019, with the 55-300mm PLM, the 100mm Macro, and the 16-85mm. My main interest - I am afraid it was birds!
Then in February 2021 that 55-300mm seemed just not enough for birding anymore, and lashed out on the 150-450mm zoom (which is fantastic, by the way!!! ).

Figured I was set. But then read a little about the K3 iii. And read some more. And read some more........"Hmm - could be better than my KP re birds in flight shots?????".
Read some more on the K3 iii - started drooling........ In June 2021 gave in, bought the K3 iii. LOVE IT.

So yeah, so should you stay away from birding.......Nah, go for it!!!
11-30-2022, 02:08 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Congrats for this solid choice. I too have 18-135 and 55-300 which are my walkaround glass

11-30-2022, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Roam Redway Quote
Welcome!

I don't have a K-70, but I have both of the lenses you bought. They are the two that I use the most. (I also frequently use the H DA 35 mm (Macro) F/2.8. A beautiful prime with 1:1 macro capabilities.)

The K-70 E book is probably as good a place to start as any if you are new to Pentax DSLRs. (I have the corresponding ones for my camera. Much more "narrative" than the official Owners Manuals.)

Pentax eBook Downloads - Now on PF! (purchase here for instant access) - PentaxForums.com
I'd also make sure that your firmware is up to date. The firmware itself can be found on the Ricoh site. A search of our Forum will help you install it.
Enjoy!
Ditto re. e-books. In my opinion, of the 3 e-books I have (K-50, K-70,KP) I think I find the K-70 one the most value-added one as well.
11-30-2022, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
in my opinion e-book is almost useless if you know something about photography (not necessary digital) and you are person which not to afraid of experiments with settings and read carefully owners manual. i bought e-book after 1,5 year of shooting with K1mkII and reading pentaxforums.com and looking for questions and other peoples experiences with pentax cameras. after reading it i haven't found anything new. in fact for K1mkII some niuances was absent.

Last edited by LukaszWro; 11-30-2022 at 05:39 AM.
11-30-2022, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum. I also own the 18-135 and DA 55-300 PLM.

QuoteOriginally posted by PCFiend138 Quote
yyyeeeaaaa... I agree. You don't want to have to afford birding. Enjoy the simple life.
You can do quite a lot of birding just by adding the HD DA 1.4 TC to that kit. You can spend $10,000 on lenses, but you don't have to.

Where to post you images....
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/179869-da-...can-do-50.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/365761-hd-...t-cant-87.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/

Last edited by normhead; 11-30-2022 at 06:00 AM.
11-30-2022, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, this is the best place for any advice. I have never had a K70 but it's a great camera from the reviews I have read. I used to have the 18-135mm on my K3, it is a very good lens for general travelling around, not the sharpest but very acceptable none the less.
11-30-2022, 06:58 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
not the sharpest but very acceptable none the less.
It's one of the sharpest from 20-45mm, and has excellent centre sharpness in 11 of 17 categories and at ƒ5.6 at eveyr focal length. And at 24mm ƒ8 almost perfect for landscape. It's always centre sharp... so it all depends on how you define sharpness. Inability to get performance out of this lens is users who don't understand how to use it's excellent sharpness to advantage and avoid the weak edges from 85 to 135. But for most shots the excellent centre sharpness is all you need.

Just look at the images on this page.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/179869-da-...an-do-302.html

Where's the softness?

Last edited by normhead; 12-02-2022 at 07:47 AM.
12-01-2022, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy your new camera once you get hands on.
12-04-2022, 06:45 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, enjoy your new camera once you get hands on.
Thanks!!