Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2008, 06:28 PM   #1

Hello! New here.

Hello everyone. I Just inherited a Olympus OM-2n from my Grandfather. It is in pretty good condition as far as i can see. It probably hasn't been used in quite a few years.. He also gave me two lenses along with the 50mm 1.8 kit lens.

He gave me a vivitar 80-200mm 4.5 Macro Focusing Zoom. And also a Vivitar 28-85mm 2.8-3.8 lens.

I realize this forum is a Pentax forum... but the lens i need help with is not a Olympus lens. And i found this site through google haha.
I found this forum trying to find out whats wrong with the 28-85 lens. The DOF preview button on the side has no effect. I can hear it click when i hit it but the blades do not move. Same with when i turn the aperture to 22 and back to 2.8 i hear it click-click. but nothing when viewing through the lens on or off the body. I've read somewhere on here a thread from 2007 or so about someone having similar problems with this lens and was wondering if anyone had a repair manual on how to fix this issue.

Thanks!!

Here's a picture of the stuff he gave me!

Along with came nice puches for each lense, a camera bag, and a cover for the camera which is in mint condition.

Anyways, if you guys could help me out that would be awesome!

Last edited by CrazyTrance; 12-26-2008 at 06:33 PM.
12-26-2008, 06:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does the lens have a button or lever on the back. If so turn it down to f22 and push the button (pin) or flick the lever. Also does the lens have a manual auto switch? Change modes and try it in each.

If none of that will activate the blades then the lens may be to be dissembled and the aperture blades cleaned. There's most likely lubricant on the blades that's sticking them together. Not an easy fix and best left to a camera repair shop.

Welcome to the forums.
12-26-2008, 07:06 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yes it does, it has the DOF button and the lense release button. I've tried putting it to f22 and hitting the DOF button and no such luck. I dont believe it has an auto or manual button on it.

I think thats what the problem might be, grease on the blades sticking them together... :/ dont wanna have to take it in haha.

Thanks for the help and welcome.

Chase
12-27-2008, 03:51 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, good luck with the sticky blades.