Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2008, 10:16 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Help with out lens please

Hi
Just got my third Pentax. I've had two isds and now have the K200D. I bought the kit lens with it, 18-55mm. And since I am on a budget big time. I purchased a
Pentax F 80-200mm 4.7 lens. Old film lens. I noticed that if I zoom in on something far away at 200mm it won't focus, but if I pull back a bit it's fine. Bad lens or normal for an SLR lens?
Also have a flash question. I also Purchased a Promaster FTD 5400 with Pentax PX module. I have been told it will work fine with the K200D with no voltage problem. Does anyone know for sure?
Thank you in advance
Rick

12-28-2008, 01:48 AM   #2
Damn Brit

It's normal for some lenses to focus past infinity, especially the all metal ones. I think it's something to do with allowing for expansion and contraction in hot and cold temperatures. Try physically lining up the infinity mark on the lens barrel and then check through the viewfinder, it should be in focus.
If the Promaster module says Digital on the box, it should work ok, if it's not digital, it won't work.
12-28-2008, 06:27 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
It's normal for some lenses to focus past infinity, especially the all metal ones. I think it's something to do with allowing for expansion and contraction in hot and cold temperatures. Try physically lining up the infinity mark on the lens barrel and then check through the viewfinder, it should be in focus.
If the Promaster module says Digital on the box, it should work ok, if it's not digital, it won't work.
Thanks Damn!!! I will work with the lens some more today. As for the Module...
I know that it is for a film camera, but I did try it once and worked fine. But I guess that doesn't mean much if the voltage is not compatible. But I did get positive
YES's from the Camera Stores here that said yes...no problem.
Rick
12-28-2008, 06:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Rick,
some of the old manual lenses would hide a couple of screws under the rubber focus ring that could be loosened a tad and readjusted. I don't know about the auto focus ones but it might be worth a peek. I got an M 80-200mm a while back on ebay and the iris was sticky so I sent it back and the guy had it fixed and then it wouldn't focus to infinity so I was pretty steamed. I took it apart and adjusted it and it is kind of ok now. Now I know how many pieces are in a zoom- alot

12-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
About the Promaster Flash, I have the 5550DX and the Pentax PX module. What you will have to do is set that module to the "Auto" mode. Your K200D doesn't do regular TTL, it does P-TTL which the PX module doesn't do. So, set your camera to Manual mode, set the ISO on the flash to match the ISO you have set for the camera , set the little slider switch to "Auto" ( which, if i remember correctly, is all the way to the left ) then set your shutter speed to 180, and depending on distance to the subject, try either F5.6 or F6.3. I have had decent results with this combination. Oh, and buy some Eneloop batteries for your camera and flash ;o)
12-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, if the subject lacks contrast it may have a tougher time getting focused, can you focus manually at full 200?.
12-28-2008, 12:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Old film lens. I noticed that if I zoom in on something far away at 200mm it won't focus, but if I pull back a bit it's fine. Bad lens or normal for an SLR lens?
Not normal for that lens. I have had two of the same lenses - I used to use one on a K100D for the same reason, and my daughter still uses one on an istDS. Both give good results throughout the zoom range. Slow lenses, but good value for the price they now sell at.

Try the suggestions above - starting with checking if it focuses manually at full zoom.
12-28-2008, 01:18 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Hey Rick,
some of the old manual lenses would hide a couple of screws under the rubber focus ring that could be loosened a tad and readjusted. I don't know about the auto focus ones but it might be worth a peek. I got an M 80-200mm a while back on ebay and the iris was sticky so I sent it back and the guy had it fixed and then it wouldn't focus to infinity so I was pretty steamed. I took it apart and adjusted it and it is kind of ok now. Now I know how many pieces are in a zoom- alot
Hi Borno
I found the screws and loosened them, but no dice. It just wont focus at 200mm and infinity. I will probably trash it. I lesson to learn by...
thank you so very much for the info!!!!
Rick

12-28-2008, 01:22 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kevindt Quote
Not normal for that lens. I have had two of the same lenses - I used to use one on a K100D for the same reason, and my daughter still uses one on an istDS. Both give good results throughout the zoom range. Slow lenses, but good value for the price they now sell at.

Try the suggestions above - starting with checking if it focuses manually at full zoom.
Thank you for your reply!! I will probably toss it. It does work well other than at 200mm, lol.
Rick
12-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, if the subject lacks contrast it may have a tougher time getting focused, can you focus manually at full 200?.
No, I it won't focus either way.
thank you for you reply!!
Rick
12-28-2008, 01:24 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
About the Promaster Flash, I have the 5550DX and the Pentax PX module. What you will have to do is set that module to the "Auto" mode. Your K200D doesn't do regular TTL, it does P-TTL which the PX module doesn't do. So, set your camera to Manual mode, set the ISO on the flash to match the ISO you have set for the camera , set the little slider switch to "Auto" ( which, if i remember correctly, is all the way to the left ) then set your shutter speed to 180, and depending on distance to the subject, try either F5.6 or F6.3. I have had decent results with this combination. Oh, and buy some Eneloop batteries for your camera and flash ;o)
Thanks Stratman...So hopefully it's the PX module that governs that amount of voltage.
Rick