Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #1

New member from Maryland

Hello everyone! I have been taking pictures with a cheapo HP Photosmart but have been bit by the SLR bug, subsequently getting a great deal on a Pentax *ist DS camera. While I realize that the camera is a little older, I think it will suit my needs as I learn

Couple of questions I have:

* What aftermarket flash can I use that won't take me broke? I know the camera has a stock flash but I have read that it needs something better?

* How can I get the camera to take multiple pictures in rapid form? I go to the car races and the first few seconds are critical and I'd like to capture them.

Thanks,
Tim

12-29-2008, 02:07 PM   #2

Original Poster
Wow overwhelming response here LOL.
12-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Give us a chance my man, it's a world wide thing in here, all at different time zones.

Welcome to the forum, I hope you will enjoy your Pentax kit, it's the person behind the camera that makes the real picture.

As for your car question, I would suggest your try to get a good fast prime lens, get as close as possible to the subjects and bump up the ISO as fast as you can and see how you get on.

Maybe the flash question is not linked to cars, if it is, I'm not sure that unless your real close to the car action or got a flash the size stadium floodlights, that having flash will really make that much of a difference to your shots.
12-29-2008, 02:14 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Give us a chance my man, it's a world wide thing in here, all at different time zones.

Welcome to the forum, I hope you will enjoy your Pentax kit, it's the person behind the camera that makes the real picture.

As for your car question, I would suggest your try to get a good fast prime lens, get as close as possible to the subjects and bump up the ISO as fast as you can and see how you get on.

Maybe the flash question is not linked to cars, if it is, I'm not sure that unless your real close to the car action or got a flash the size stadium floodlights, that having flash will really make that much of a difference to your shots.
Thanks. :-) Can you explain the "bump up the ISO as far as you can". How do I do that?

12-29-2008, 03:39 PM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
So for fast cars you need fast shutter speeds to freeze the action, you can achieve this by some or all of the following;

1) Take pictures only on bright sunny days
2) Fast (large apertures f1:1.2 to f1:2.8) lenses
3) Now I have never owned one of these cameras, but a quick google says you can have the following ISO speeds 200/400/800/1600/3200. So try setting ISO at say 800, 1600 and 3200. Unfortunately the down side of fast ISO's is noise (like grain in pictures is what we called them in the old days ).

Try all these things have a quick review of the LCD screen at the time and see what works for you.

Good luck and enjoy.
12-30-2008, 06:57 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
So for fast cars you need fast shutter speeds to freeze the action, you can achieve this by some or all of the following;

1) Take pictures only on bright sunny days
2) Fast (large apertures f1:1.2 to f1:2.8) lenses
3) Now I have never owned one of these cameras, but a quick google says you can have the following ISO speeds 200/400/800/1600/3200. So try setting ISO at say 800, 1600 and 3200. Unfortunately the down side of fast ISO's is noise (like grain in pictures is what we called them in the old days ).

Try all these things have a quick review of the LCD screen at the time and see what works for you.

Good luck and enjoy.
I'll try those settings. Thank you for taking the time to explain all of this to me. I am obviously still learning and really want some clear pictures hence why I got the SLR in the first place

Regards,
Tim
12-30-2008, 09:02 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by SNKBYTE Quote

* How can I get the camera to take multiple pictures in rapid form? I go to the car races and the first few seconds are critical and I'd like to capture them.

Thanks,
Tim
I think what you are looking for is the continuous shot mode. Manual isn't online but give this a shot:

Below, the button displays a 4-option screen on the LCD monitor. The Function button provides a fast way to set:

* Drive mode selects the Continuous Shooting mode, the Self-Timer, the Remote Control, or Auto bracketing:
o Continuous mode locks focus and exposure at the first frame and captures up to 8 images consecutively at up to 2.8 frames per second;

(yanked from: Megapixel.net Digital Camera News and Reviews)

on my K100d, you push Fn, then the up arrow, and scroll to the continuous shot mode.

HTH
-southy
01-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by southy Quote
I think what you are looking for is the continuous shot mode. Manual isn't online but give this a shot:

Below, the button displays a 4-option screen on the LCD monitor. The Function button provides a fast way to set:

* Drive mode selects the Continuous Shooting mode, the Self-Timer, the Remote Control, or Auto bracketing:
o Continuous mode locks focus and exposure at the first frame and captures up to 8 images consecutively at up to 2.8 frames per second;

(yanked from: Megapixel.net Digital Camera News and Reviews)

on my K100d, you push Fn, then the up arrow, and scroll to the continuous shot mode.

HTH
-southy
Gnarly !!! Thank you!