Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2023, 12:07 PM   #1

Old photographer getting back to it

Hello everyone! I was a photographer a few years back, mostly landscape photography and some portraits on the side. Now I am starting to get back to it. I was originally a Nikon/film user, still have it but film is a pain to develop .

Anyways, I had been shooting on a Pentax K10 previously, bak in the early 2000's, and was recently gifted a Pentax K 70. I am attempting to update the firmware but do not have an SD drive in my current laptop...it's an older MacBook Pro and only uses lightning ports. If anyone can offer up some suggestions to update the firmware for my situation it would be greatly appreciated! (Computer also states that it cannot unzip file because it is an "unsupported format")

Happy to be here an to learn all about my new camera and get back into the swing of things. I feel like I have forgotten everything at this point.

02-10-2023, 12:20 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PentaxForums!
02-10-2023, 04:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello and welcome to Pentax Forums.

Every older MacBook Pro that I’ve had has incorporated an SD card reader, excluding the last Intel-powered one, for which I had to buy an adaptor. None of them has Apple’s proprietary Lightning port, but the later ones do have Apple’s take on the USB-C port (called “Thunderbolt”), so if that’s the one you have, then the simple solution is to buy an adapter. There’s a plethora of them available in stores or online at a variety of prices.

I hope that helps.
02-10-2023, 04:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

For my 2019 intel laptop I have a "dongle". I hate that word, but, when I contacted Apple support a few days ago, I had to use it. I should have called it a "dingle dongle" to express my true feelings. Assuming that's what you have, get the one with the standard USB pot, HDMI for a second monitor and traditional USB port. I've tried a number of non Apple dongle, they are died within weeks of being purchased, which was good because I could still return them. The Apple ones I bought in 2020 are still working great.

02-11-2023, 02:10 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland
02-11-2023, 03:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Greetings and welcome to Pentax Forums from Germany!