Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2023, 09:52 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Groetjes(greetings) from Belgium

Greetings fellow photographers.

From my humble beginnings with a Olympus E-PL9 to the more enthusiast/professional Canon EOS R6, I've finally arrived to the Pentax system. There's just something about a SLR that I get that I can't with a Mirrorless body. That satisfying mechanical clunk of the mirror and shutter working.

After using the olympus, I was curious about the performance of the FF sensor and purchased a 5D mk ii. It was my first expierence with a DSLR. I really enjoyed the expierence of the OVF and more beefier body. The images with the beautiful bokeh was just stunning.

But I sorely missed the convenience of Olympus' Sensor Stabilisation, so I saved money to finally get myself a R6. At this point, I actually had no idea a DSLR with sensor stabilisation existed. I assumed that only mirrorless bodies could have them.

After 2 years of shooting with that R6, I discovered the Pentax K-1 ii. I was amazed at its price point, sealed body and it having a stabilised sensor! And it had a flexible articulating screen! I never liked the swivel designs of the canon bodies, It always felt like it got in the way if I take shots from low angles. Now I can just instantly flip out the screen for a more lower angle shot.

Live view mode and autofocus is not something the K-1 ii would beat with the R6, but it still can do the job.

Something I did notice about the K-1ii compared to the R6, is that it was less forgiving when it came to shadows and highlights. I was less likely to recover darker areas, making me be more careful with how I expose the image.
The R6 essentially made me lazy about exposure and I didn't even realise it. The K-1 ii made me think more about the shot, and take my time, which I value since I always love improving my craft of photography.

While I'm gonna miss the canon's amazing autofocus, I plan on getting a OM system OM-1 with the proper lenses to cover what the K-1ii lacks.

I'm having a blast using the K-1 ii so far. I hope I haven't arrived too late to the Party!
I've only an amateur with 2-3 years of expierence but I hope to keep shooting Pentax, the experience is just unbeatable.

Attached Images

03-30-2023, 12:21 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome
03-30-2023, 12:26 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PentaxForums! Never too late! We're glad to have you with us!
03-30-2023, 01:06 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welkom!

03-30-2023, 01:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Welcome to PentaxForums! Never too late! We're glad to have you with us!
I mean with "too late to the party", with Pentax's popularity, you never know where the wind is blowing.

I'm waiting for them to release their K-1 iii with an updated processor and better autofocus.

That's my wishlist for the camera.
03-30-2023, 02:23 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SirGuinea Quote
I mean with "too late to the party", with Pentax's popularity, you never know where the wind is blowing.

I'm waiting for them to release their K-1 iii with an updated processor and better autofocus.

That's my wishlist for the camera.
People who want DSLR cameras will be coming round, not to worry. Now of course we are biased (you think?) but we believe Pentax cameras can hold their own against the competition, which is dwindling.

I can't speak about the K1 of any version, but lots of folks here would probably agree with you!
03-30-2023, 02:32 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland

04-03-2023, 07:00 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum and to Pentax-land! Your K-1 II is an extrmely capable camera with its excellent 36mp high-res sensor, and having no AA anti moire smudge filter to compromise its superb resolution. Much of what you are addressing in your comparisons are a matter of camera settings.

Are you showing us both the K-1 II and the lenses you now own?

The Olympus OM-1 mirrorless would be a good compact alternative, when this is needed. But it is a much smaller sensor and though it offers some very advanced aspects, the possibility of other alternatives might depend on what you shoot and when you shoot.

If you simply post some threads addressing your hopes and expectations in regards to those specific needs, we could then discuss such matters more at length. We might be able to offer some useful suggestions. We look forward to hearing further from you!

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-03-2023 at 07:07 PM.
04-04-2023, 02:36 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Greetings and welcome to Pentax Forums from Germany! Congratulations not only on your relatively recent acquisition of some very high class Pentax gear, but also for dumping Canon. :-)
04-04-2023, 11:24 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Welcome to the forum and to Pentax-land! Your K-1 II is an extrmely capable camera with its excellent 36mp high-res sensor, and having no AA anti moire smudge filter to compromise its superb resolution. Much of what you are addressing in your comparisons are a matter of camera settings.

Are you showing us both the K-1 II and the lenses you now own?

The Olympus OM-1 mirrorless would be a good compact alternative, when this is needed. But it is a much smaller sensor and though it offers some very advanced aspects, the possibility of other alternatives might depend on what you shoot and when you shoot.

If you simply post some threads addressing your hopes and expectations in regards to those specific needs, we could then discuss such matters more at length. We might be able to offer some useful suggestions. We look forward to hearing further from you!
Yes, these are second hand purchases and were in almost new condition. I saved half of what I would buying new. I like buying second hand camera gear, they're reliable enough to purchase second hand.

I also own a handful of M42 en legacy Pentax glass. Most notable in my collection is the Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 and Helios 40 85mm f/1.5

I shoot birds and like shooting action as well, something I noticed the K-1 ii doesn't handle very well, the OM-1 should compliment that shortcoming, but it isn't my main camera.

Thank you for the warm reception, I hope to share my expierences with the forum.
04-05-2023, 01:01 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from New Zealand!
04-10-2023, 12:12 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SirGuinea Quote
Greetings fellow photographers.

From my humble beginnings with a Olympus E-PL9 to the more enthusiast/professional Canon EOS R6, I've finally arrived to the Pentax system. There's just something about a SLR that I get that I can't with a Mirrorless body. That satisfying mechanical clunk of the mirror and shutter working.

After using the olympus, I was curious about the performance of the FF sensor and purchased a 5D mk ii. It was my first expierence with a DSLR. I really enjoyed the expierence of the OVF and more beefier body. The images with the beautiful bokeh was just stunning.

But I sorely missed the convenience of Olympus' Sensor Stabilisation, so I saved money to finally get myself a R6. At this point, I actually had no idea a DSLR with sensor stabilisation existed. I assumed that only mirrorless bodies could have them.

After 2 years of shooting with that R6, I discovered the Pentax K-1 ii. I was amazed at its price point, sealed body and it having a stabilised sensor! And it had a flexible articulating screen! I never liked the swivel designs of the canon bodies, It always felt like it got in the way if I take shots from low angles. Now I can just instantly flip out the screen for a more lower angle shot.

Live view mode and autofocus is not something the K-1 ii would beat with the R6, but it still can do the job.

Something I did notice about the K-1ii compared to the R6, is that it was less forgiving when it came to shadows and highlights. I was less likely to recover darker areas, making me be more careful with how I expose the image.
The R6 essentially made me lazy about exposure and I didn't even realise it. The K-1 ii made me think more about the shot, and take my time, which I value since I always love improving my craft of photography.

While I'm gonna miss the canon's amazing autofocus, I plan on getting a OM system OM-1 with the proper lenses to cover what the K-1ii lacks.

I'm having a blast using the K-1 ii so far. I hope I haven't arrived too late to the Party!
I've only an amateur with 2-3 years of expierence but I hope to keep shooting Pentax, the experience is just unbeatable.
Welcome, from Belgium as well!