Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2023, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard. I have had the K1/ D FA 28-105 combo going on 7 years now. Great performer. I got a K1-II in 2018 and that is still going strong too. When I go to Yellowstone and other places out west I have the D FA 28-105 on one camera and the D FA 150-450 on the other. That covers 90% of my shooting.

The D FA 28-105 is a very good lens. When /i got my K1 and started working with the images I lost all desire to own another ASPc camera. My K5 and K5-IIs are gone and my K3 has done a lot of sitting the last 7 years. I do shoot wildlife and occasional action, but my K1's do pretty good there so I have no real desire to get the K3-III. I have been shooting Pentax for 50 years now and still have my Spotmatic II.

One cool feature about Pentax is that all Pentax lenses will work on the latest models.

This forum is a great place to get good information about the Pentax system. When I first went digital in 2013 it was a very frustrating experience and this forum saved my K5 from an appointment with my anvil and 4 pound sledge hammer. I am not kidding there either.

04-09-2023, 07:45 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome from a fellow Angeleno!

The K1 is a marvelous camera. I have the Mark II. I have had the Pentax 28-105mm and the Sigma 24-135mm. I sold them both after trying the Sigma 24-60, a hard lens to find. It is a superb lens with fantastic IQ for a zoom. Check out the review here: Sigma EX DG 24-60mm F2.8 Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Also the Pentax 15-30mm is a fantastic optic, but very pricey. It is much better than the Sigma 12-24mm. In addition you have the ability to mount any number of fantastic used M42 with a simple adapter or Kmount lenses.
04-12-2023, 01:01 PM - 3 Likes   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
Hello and welcome. The DFA28-105 is a stellar lens. Do not think of as an ordinary Kit lens. That DFA28-105 and K-1 are just a killer combo. In my opinion, it would be a shame to have the K-1 without the DFA28-105. The DFA24-70:is an excellent lens, but not something I would want to use on a daily basis. For what it is worth, the DFA28-105 crushes every film Era lens of that genre. I should know. I either own or have owned most of them. One thing I will add is that the K-1 was primarily marketed as a Landscape camera. It does not have the high burst rate that other Full Frame cameras have. Not to say it cannot do it, but for action photography I still prefer my K3ii. That is just my uneducated, unscientific opinion.
Thanks for the tip I was looking at that lens to start. Any thoughts on where to begin with a prime lens for shooting cars and motorcycles still stuff. I know I get on every bodies nerves until I give them the photos. Then wow Thanks, I love doing that.

On a side note I spent all day yesterday in the dentist chair looking at a TV on the ceiling watching home remolding shows from Michigan on the HGTV channel. The designer was an amped up red head who could really turn a place around. Never been to Michigan but after four hours of this program I'm thinking I got to make me trip IN THE SUMMER.

Regards
Bobby D

---------- Post added 04-12-23 at 01:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
Bodies for you: K-1, K-1 ii, or K-3 iii, as I am guessing you are prepared to purchase the best Pentax bodies available from your post. I am married to APS-C. If I were to go full frame, I would have to educate myself on which lenses work best with full frame. Some of my lenses that work for APS-C would have adverse vignetting on a full frame body.

So if you have already bought a K-1 series full frame body, just be cautious which lenses you buy to assure they work with the body. Otherwise Pentax full frame bodies are top dogs.

If you are still comparing full frame to APS-C, to determine which body, I would choose K-1 series full frame for best dim light indoor photos, and I would choose K-3 iii APS-C for best long range nature photos, such as bird photos. But, then there is not much difference, other than APS-C can use the full panoply of Pentax lenses. With the K-1 series you must concentrate more to assure the lens you buy will not vignette. K-1 series should do better with indoor photography - the sensor is larger than the K-3 series.
yes I scored a K1 Mark II body already and read up on this forum that the best fit are the D FA series. So I was thinking of starting there. If I understand correctly, You will need to adjust a cropping feature in the K1 to use the DA series Lenses. I guess the internet has wiped out the friendly neighborhood camera store to try out lenes. In LA Samy's Camera store is a survivor but is phasing out Pentax gear - they deal mostly in Canon and Nikon.

I have not gotten use to buying items, without trying them them first, from the internet

---------- Post added 04-12-23 at 01:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Greetings Bobby and welcome to Pentax Forums from Germany!
jcboss Thank you for the greeting.

My last official duty for my job before I retired was to travel to a Germany to a beautiful town called Landshut about 40 kilometers outside of Munich. Awesome trip and I want to go back.

Stay in Touch
Bobby D

---------- Post added 04-12-23 at 01:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Welcome, I love old cars and such as well, and I use my K-1 and DFA 28-105 to meet most of my needs and almost any occasion. Start off with that and you will be pleased. You can get a lot of used gear here on PF and I recommend seeing what is available here before buying new.
I think I shall thanks for the tip.

A great web site is barnfinds.com. They profile old project cars for sale then the subscribers can comment on the cost , experience, things to look out for

This is amazing but I broke out an old John Denver record, well Pandora did, just two nights ago and listened to Take Me Home Country Road where he signs about the Shenandoah River now I can't get the friggen song out of my head. I'm not even a John Denver fan but I was looking for that song Pomes, Prayers and Promises. That is a great song. I did find it but the other song is still in my head.

Regards Bobby D

---------- Post added 04-12-23 at 01:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Bobby....you will find lots of car enthusiasts on here......

I love this shot. These are the types of photos I aspire to take.

Awesome

---------- Post added 04-12-23 at 01:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nixxo2002 Quote
welcome from LA . closest to your canon lens will be DFA 28-105 and it less expensive to compare with primes , but delivered great results .
Thanks for the response I think I will do it.
04-13-2023, 02:24 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bobby D Quote
Thanks for the tip I was looking at that lens to start. Any thoughts on where to begin with a prime lens for shooting cars and motorcycles still stuff. I know I get on every bodies nerves until I give them the photos. Then wow Thanks, I love doing that.

On a side note I spent all day yesterday in the dentist chair looking at a TV on the ceiling watching home remolding shows from Michigan on the HGTV channel. The designer was an amped up red head who could really turn a place around. Never been to Michigan but after four hours of this program I'm thinking I got to make me trip IN THE SUMMER.

Regards
Bobby D
For primes on the K1 it will depend on what you are really looking for. Any of the FA Limiteds would be a solid choice. Just keep in mind those lens were created for a special rendition that prioritizes color rendition and contrast over sharpness. They are film era lenses so you will get some purple fringing and chromatic aberrations. I strongly recommend anyone looking at these lens to fully read the Pentax Forum In Depth reviews to fully understand what these lens are for. I know I will never part with mine. For about the best budget prime new, I think the new HD FA35 would be a great choice. The only actual downside to this lens is the lack of weather sealing and screwdrive autofocus, neither of which bother me. The DFA 21 would be great but my bank account says otherwise. For a super budget, both the DA35 2.4 and DA50 1.8 work perfectly on the K1. You can get those lens really cheap. They are both plastic lens with plastic mounts but they can produce really nice images. You just have to run your K1 in Full Frame mode rather than Auto. I have an older Sigma 28 1.8 Macro that I like using on my K1. It is a bit on the larger side using 77mm filters.

What primes you choose will really depend on what you value most. Older primes will work. They will be cheaper for the most part. However they most likely will be screw drive and lack any weather sealing. The new primes that Pentax has released are exceptional lenses that come with a price to match. Good glass does not come cheap. I have had my eye on that new DFA 50 1.4 since it was released. Maybe someday I will get one.

I lived in Michigan all my life. I lived in both the lower and upper peninsulas. Areas along the lakeshore are just beautiful. I grew up on Lake Michigan so I am partial to that coastline. The northern section of the lower pennisula is my favorite vaction area. The upper peninsula is full of hundreds of waterfalls.

04-16-2023, 11:09 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums! I'm also in L.A. County, and I can assure you that you can trust any weather sealed PENTAX camera in the rain. Also, you can use the K-1's tilting screen with confidence in wet conditions. As for lenses for car shows... I've only used my DFA 24-70 for car photos, and I thought it did an adequate job.
04-17-2023, 09:28 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
For primes on the K1 it will depend on what you are really looking for. Any of the FA Limiteds would be a solid choice. Just keep in mind those lens were created for a special rendition that prioritizes color rendition and contrast over sharpness. They are film era lenses so you will get some purple fringing and chromatic aberrations. I strongly recommend anyone looking at these lens to fully read the Pentax Forum In Depth reviews to fully understand what these lens are for. I know I will never part with mine. For about the best budget prime new, I think the new HD FA35 would be a great choice. The only actual downside to this lens is the lack of weather sealing and screwdrive autofocus, neither of which bother me. The DFA 21 would be great but my bank account says otherwise. For a super budget, both the DA35 2.4 and DA50 1.8 work perfectly on the K1. You can get those lens really cheap. They are both plastic lens with plastic mounts but they can produce really nice images. You just have to run your K1 in Full Frame mode rather than Auto. I have an older Sigma 28 1.8 Macro that I like using on my K1. It is a bit on the larger side using 77mm filters.

What primes you choose will really depend on what you value most. Older primes will work. They will be cheaper for the most part. However they most likely will be screw drive and lack any weather sealing. The new primes that Pentax has released are exceptional lenses that come with a price to match. Good glass does not come cheap. I have had my eye on that new DFA 50 1.4 since it was released. Maybe someday I will get one.

I lived in Michigan all my life. I lived in both the lower and upper peninsulas. Areas along the lakeshore are just beautiful. I grew up on Lake Michigan so I am partial to that coastline. The northern section of the lower pennisula is my favorite vaction area. The upper peninsula is full of hundreds of waterfalls.
Thank you for the detailed response and I will research your suggestions. I am now studying a yuotube video on how set the camera up. I am paying specific attention to the lens settings. With my Canon I only had two lenses. a 25 -105 and a 70 - 200, they got me buy. With this camera and forum support, AND I JUST RETIRED I am going to dive deeper into photography and up my game a lil bit. So I appreciate the response.
06-27-2023, 09:31 AM   #22

Original Poster
Ok guys my second post in the forum. I took all your advice and started out with the DFA 28 -105 lens for my K1 Mark II, It was only about $400 on the BH web site. I was immediately surprised how nice it was to shoot with new technology. I thought my 17 year-old Canon EOS 1D was cutting edge. What my Canon does not have is the large rotating rear view and the ability to shoot with it. It made shooting at different angles easy and to view your photos was a thousand times better. I also realized that my Canon had been failing for a while as my photos were were dark and lacked color - I thought it was me.

I was amazed with my first shots how vibrant the colors were - OK it wasn't me. I also like the controls on the K1 better then the Canon and having the camera settings visible in the rear view for quick easy reference is a nice feature. I am very happy with this purchase - at this time everything is positive - I have not found anything that I dislike. I attached the first photo from this set-up, shot in the auto mode with no editing. This is at Lake Havasu Nevada shot while I was in another boat. Even in direct sunlight the rear view was easy to view my capture. The dark Corvette is mine in a car show. The rotating rear view made it possible for my old a@# to get this low angle shot. The orange Corvette was my competition - so did not win. I included this shot because I am amazed how vibrant these colors are for a low light shot in auto mode.

Have a Great Summer Everybody !!!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
06-28-2023, 01:47 AM   #23
Forum Member

Hello there, welcome to the forum.