Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
05-30-2023, 05:27 PM - 8 Likes   #1

Coming Back to Pentax

Hello everyone,

I'm truly thrilled to have stumbled upon this lively and resourceful community. It's wonderful to see such an extensive lens database at our fingertips.

You may find it interesting that I was once a devoted Pentax user, but when Hoya took over, I had my doubts as the pace of development seemed to slow. It felt like the end of an era, so I moved on. My journey with Pentax began with the Spotmatic, then moved on to the ME-super, RICOH XR-8 Super, and then the digital *istDL, ending with the Pentax K7. It was then that I decided to part ways with Pentax. In retrospect, it's a bit regrettable that I let go of several excellent k-mount lenses in the process, including the cherished 43mm and Zeiss 50mm. Such are the choices we make, aren't they?

However, with the recent release of the Pentax K3-iii monochrome, I found myself drawn back and promptly placed an order.

Having spent a decade or so with Canon and Olympus cameras, I've come to appreciate the unique charm of a DSLR's viewfinder, and I hear the K3-iii's is especially good.

As I eagerly await my K3-iii monochrome, I've also opted for Sigma's highly proficient 18-35 lens. Though I soon realized it might be a bit too heavy for my upcoming vacation. So, I decided to balance it out with the lighter 20-40mm and 35mm f2.4 lenses. I've always had a soft spot for affordable introductory lenses, or what we fondly refer to as 撒き餌 lenses in Japanese.

I'm truly looking forward to engaging more in this forum. Your passionate support and love for Pentax over the years have truly kept the spirit alive, and I am grateful for that. Here's to us, Pentax fans!

Warm regards,
Masahiko

05-30-2023, 06:03 PM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by masabu Quote
Hello everyone,

I'm truly thrilled to have stumbled upon this lively and resourceful community. It's wonderful to see such an extensive lens database at our fingertips.

You may find it interesting that I was once a devoted Pentax user, but when Hoya took over, I had my doubts as the pace of development seemed to slow. It felt like the end of an era, so I moved on. My journey with Pentax began with the Spotmatic, then moved on to the ME-super, RICOH XR-8 Super, and then the digital *istDL, ending with the Pentax K7. It was then that I decided to part ways with Pentax. In retrospect, it's a bit regrettable that I let go of several excellent k-mount lenses in the process, including the cherished 43mm and Zeiss 50mm. Such are the choices we make, aren't they?

However, with the recent release of the Pentax K3-iii monochrome, I found myself drawn back and promptly placed an order.

Having spent a decade or so with Canon and Olympus cameras, I've come to appreciate the unique charm of a DSLR's viewfinder, and I hear the K3-iii's is especially good.

As I eagerly await my K3-iii monochrome, I've also opted for Sigma's highly proficient 18-35 lens. Though I soon realized it might be a bit too heavy for my upcoming vacation. So, I decided to balance it out with the lighter 20-40mm and 35mm f2.4 lenses. I've always had a soft spot for affordable introductory lenses, or what we fondly refer to as 撒き餌 lenses in Japanese.

I'm truly looking forward to engaging more in this forum. Your passionate support and love for Pentax over the years have truly kept the spirit alive, and I am grateful for that. Here's to us, Pentax fans!

Warm regards,
Masahiko
Welcome to the forum and back to Pentax!

My brother living in Tokyo told me that he still sees many Pentaxians roaming around his district. He knows about the support Pentax is giving to their users, especially in Japan. You've got Pentax-sponsored photo-walks there to try out their lenses and cameras, old and new. You can have your Pentax customised, you can rent some gear, etc.

I also went back to Pentax recently around 2 years ago. There is something in these cameras and lenses that are just hard to explain, a soul probably? It's just that the experience with them can highlight the love for photography.
05-30-2023, 10:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Greetings and welcome back to Pentax and welcome to Pentax Forums from Germany! It's always exciting when new Pentaxians arrive. 🥳
05-30-2023, 11:00 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome

05-31-2023, 02:48 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome home! We're willing to forgive your ten year sabbatical

It's great to see the K-3 III Monochrome continuing to attract newcomers and returnees to the Pentaxian fold. Good times ahead!
05-31-2023, 08:21 AM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome back to Pentax, and especially these forums! They are a wealth of information, and the kindest members one could ever ask for!
05-31-2023, 08:29 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome home! We're delighted to have you join us!

05-31-2023, 12:21 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland
05-31-2023, 12:40 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome home, I too ordered a K3iii Monochrome and am waiting patiently for delivery. I started off with the K1000 and MX developing mono films in a makeshift darkroom at home. I hope to capture the spirit of those times with the new camera. We have a section here for discussing the camera, feel free to add some thoughts and samples once you get yours.
Pentax K-3 III Monochrome - PentaxForums.com
05-31-2023, 09:11 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from New Zealand!
06-01-2023, 06:21 PM - 3 Likes   #11

Original Poster
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I got email from Ricoh today that they shipped my K3-iii monochrome!!
06-02-2023, 03:45 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by masabu Quote
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I got email from Ricoh today that they shipped my K3-iii monochrome!!
Congratulations .I am sure you will enjoy it
06-30-2023, 07:45 AM   #13

This is similar to my own story, but I haven't decided yet whether to take the re-plunge, hoping someone here can guide me.

The backstory is: I shot Pentax from a K-1000 up to the K-70, and as of a few years ago was posting on these boards. But Olympus pulled me away, mostly due to size and compactness of the wide-ranging kit I could take with me...everything from macro to landscape zooms to a 600mm equivalent all in one pack. However, I have now grown my kit to include some primes, and often take just one lens with me...to the point that heftiness doesn't matter so much.
I also love shooting B&W, and while I can lust after the idea of a Leica, when it comes down to it I find Leica's offerings kind of ridiculous...both for the price and oddball features.

So Pentax's unique decision to offer a reasonably price dedicated monochrome has really triggered my nostalgia buttons. I have no doubt the camera is good quality, I was satisfied with the IQ on my K-70...heck, I'm more than satisfied with the Olympus. What I'm really concerned about is good primes, weather-sealing is critical, and specifically in these (FF equivalent) ranges: 35mm, 50mm, 90mm (I'm guessing that is around 24, 35, and 70 in APS-C terms); and ideally with a usable max aperture of f2. I'm a bit spoiled by the Olympus primes, which are rated for f1.2 and usable at f1.4 (which is f2.8 in FF DOF terms). A monochrome camera with that kind of setup would bring me "home".

Any advice is welcome, thanks!