Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2023, 08:50 AM   #1

Pentax MG Vintage Camera Shutter Button Missing

Hello, I am new to this forum. As a newlywed, my husband gave me a new Pentax MG SLR camera as a gift because up to that point I was using my Dad’s second hand Kodak Retina IIa camera that had been given to him. I pulled out my Pentax MG the other day, and to tell you it had been well stored and put away is a lie…anyway, I start messing with it, cleaning it etc. and realize that the silver part of the shutter button is gone. Can I get a replacement somewhere, or is there a way to fix?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE (2nd generation)  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE (2nd generation)  Photo 
06-06-2023, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, and welcome to PentaxForums!

I am going to move your question to the "Film SLRs" section, where it will get more attention from our film camera experts.
06-06-2023, 09:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Mine broke and was repaired so I think it's not a unique problem to you. You don't say where in the world you are - someone should be able recommend a local repairer. The sentimental value probably exceeds the monetary value
06-06-2023, 12:00 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would also suggest that with spare parts getting rarer, you should look on ebay for a donor camera.....ie one with other faults but with the part you need.

06-06-2023, 05:23 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Or if you are in a big enough city, there may be a local camera shop with a "junk bin" of old stuff...
I think the MG shutter button may be common with the ME, MV, and probably a couple other models...

But the MG has not held its value well, so they can often be found for very little money, even working, but I'll warn you that if you buy a working one for parts, you may then want another one so as not to break a working one, and then you'll have three...

-Eric
06-07-2023, 09:50 PM   #6

Original Poster
I do not live in a big city, I live in a rural town in middle of Kansas! After doing additional testing of my camera (Pentax MG) I have found that even with new batteries the auto light meter is not working. This camera may just be beyond my ability to fix! Guess I could try to get something out of the lens or sell for parts…or put on display as my first “real SLR” camera!
06-08-2023, 08:49 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd probably try and fix it or find another one... but I'm nostalgic like that.

You may want to have a chat with Allen (search for @aslyfox) for Kansas-localized information.

He's on the "East Coast" of Kansas in Topeka, but has previously recommended this guy (and it is just one guy in a shop):

phototronic.biz
119 NE US Highway 24 STE B, Topeka, KS 66608, US

(785) 233-0231

-Eric

06-09-2023, 06:22 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you for all of you comments, suggestions and leads!