Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2023, 07:25 AM   #1
Forum Member

Greetings from SATX

Howdy, all!

I've always been a longtime Pentax follower growing up, but was never really in a position to own one of the many fantastic film bodies that I always remembered seeing as a kid in the 90s. We had Olympus and Nikon point-and-shoots, and my first SLR experience came with the Nikon N90 (this started my dislike for Nikon despite wanting the older F3) in high school around 2005. Digital was becoming more prevalent, and it wasn't long before we ditched film and moved to the Nikon digitals of that era (also wasn't a fan). Being a teenager at the time, I scoffed at scooping up film gear no one wanted anymore, because I didn't want it either (or so I thought) and passed up many opportunities including an ME Super with a full array of lenses. Fast forward a few years, living back in the US, I got myself a Canon 60D because the ergonomics were perfect for my hands, and the button layout was second nature, and I pretty much stuck with that. My most recent digital upgrade was to mirrorless, and I basically shoot vintage lenses (Minolta SR glass, Nikon F, and Canon FD) almost exclusively, as they are more than sharp enough for the photography I do. I have a decently fast enough 400 mm with auto focus for faster moving targets if needed.

It wasn't until earlier this year that I decided to take another look at my grandfather's Minolta XD11 and decided to see if I could get it working. All shutter speeds seemed to be in order listening by ear, but the light bar for the light meter would not stay in place, meaning I couldn't read the meter. No biggie, I just decided to meter externally. After a roll of Fuji Superia 400, I was instantly hooked on film again, and I never thought I would be again.

Now I've gone from one film body to close to 20 in just a matter of months. A friend recently gifted me a K1000 with the 50 mm f/2, and it's such a joy to use. My goal is to eventually grab a Spotmatic and of course a 6x7 as time spent with a Rolleiflex has me more and more excited about shooting medium format.

Anyway, thanks for having me!
Josh

09-05-2023, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Greetings and welcome to Pentax Forums from Germany!
09-05-2023, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Greetings and welcome to Pentax Forums from Germany!
Thank you! You're just outside of Mainz! I used to go there frequently when I lived in Wiesbaden. I myself am actually from Neustadt a. d. Aisch over in Franconia.
09-05-2023, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to PentaxForums! If you can find a working Spotmatic, you'll love it! It was my first SLR, wonderful little camera!

09-05-2023, 12:52 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you! I'm definitely keeping my eyes open!
09-06-2023, 12:28 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from New Zealand!
09-07-2023, 01:06 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome

09-07-2023, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
My K1000 with the 50 f/2 I was gifted for my birthday about two weeks ago.

The lens needed to be regreased along the helicoid, and the elements needed cleaning. Unfortunately the front element suffered some bad fungus that already etched its way into the glass, however, it cleaned up fairly well otherwise.

It suffered the typical ground wire coming off the battery tray due to corrosion, but that was the worst of it. The one problem is that I don't have any solder/flux left for working with stainless steel contacts, so for now I will meter externally until I can solder the wire back on.

I'll be loading a roll of HP5 into it and taking it around as I can, but definitely want to get my hands on a faster 50 mm lens if I can.
Attached Images

09-08-2023, 01:26 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland