Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2007, 06:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
New to DSLRs

I just purchsed a used *ist DS with the basic kit lens, and have not even got it in hand yet, but I am excited to enter the world of DSLR.

My job requires video work, so I know a little bit about cameras, from a video perspective, but am looking forward to learning more about stills and starting to take some great pics.

Anyway, hope to learn a lot from you folks.

slinky

03-19-2007, 07:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You should have a great creative base from all that video work!

Nice to see that you've chosen Pentax! There are plenty of current lens options but as you know, the K-Mount enjoys decades of backwards compatibility and many of us here have old manual lenses. Their quality is often uncomprimising and the prices are far cheaper. (So if you are looking to expand your lens collection..without breaking the bank...those lenses are out there!)

Welcome to the Pentax Forums and I hope you'll have a great time here. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

See ya around,
Pete.
03-19-2007, 08:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Pete.

I don't know, I'm more an editor than camera man for video. Still, I know what I like, and what is considered a good image. Now I have to see if I can learn to capture those images.

My family uses an older Yashica 35mm P&S, and it was acting up. I had been wanting to make the leap into digital, and really wanting an SLR to play with. So when I saw a spectacular price on a used DS, I snatched it. Should have it in hand by weeks end.

It's almost Spring in the mountains, so there should be ample opportunity for some nature shots and landscapes to start with, and my kids are always ready to mug for the camera.
03-19-2007, 10:22 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mediaslinky Quote
I just purchsed a used *ist DS with the basic kit lens, and have not even got it in hand yet, but I am excited to enter the world of DSLR.

My job requires video work, so I know a little bit about cameras, from a video perspective, but am looking forward to learning more about stills and starting to take some great pics.

Anyway, hope to learn a lot from you folks.

slinky
Welcome, and I hope you'll be enjoying your DS!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-20-2007, 06:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi Slinky! Welcome to the forums! There are lots of DS users here who can give tips on how to get the best out of your camera. So post up a question if you'd like.

I know you're still waiting for delivery on your camera. If you'd like to, you can get acquainted with your camera before it arrives by downloading the owner's manual - click the link below.

Pentax *istDS owner's manual

Hope to see some of your work (both photo and video) soon!
03-20-2007, 07:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I think you'll really enjoy your DS. Looking forward to seeing some of those springtime-in-the-mountains pictures!
03-20-2007, 08:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Alvin-

Thanks for the link! I'll be looking that over tonight.