Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Hello from San Francisco CA

Hi everyone!

Lets start...

I took a photography class in college to fill up my art credit. I got a C. I was into it but something about developing film and not being able to get instant results just didn't latch on with me.

For christmas a couple years ago I got a Sony Cybershot 10.1MP point and shoot. I loved that camera. I took thousands of photos with it over the last couple years. Its been a great friend and really let me explore my artistic side.

The summer of 2008 I got a Pentax K200D DSLR Camera. The shop I purchased it from told me the kit lens was garbage and suggested for a 100 more than the kit price they would sell me a Tamron AF 18mm - 200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR (model: A14p). They also threw in a lens filter, 8gb CD card, and a case to carry it around in.

So far it has been great. Here are 5 shots I've taken throughout the summer and fall that I think show a good mix of my talents and weaknesses. I don't really keep a "best shot" roll so I probably have "better" photos somewhere. I just haven't bothered to pony up for aperture 2 yet to organize them all. I just use folders by year/event. All of my photos are original and contain no retouching.

Well there you have it. I do have some questions but I'm sure they belong in other forums. But if anyone wants to direct me to where I should ask about what lens to get for low light conditions, especially at night that would work well with my camera that would be great!

Thank you for read and well met!

01-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #2
Igilligan

Welcome from another bay area PF member

I will direct you to the SLR lens discussion forum for the fast glass question.

Although if you are not adverse to Manual focus stuff, I would direct you to a camera swap in SF that happens on the first saturday of the month. There you may find an old 35 or 50mm manual focus lens really cheap. I picked up my SMC tak 50 1.4 there for 35 bucks.

Also the sf craigslist has a lot of old pentax film cams that pop up with fast MF 50's on them cheap.

Welcome to the forum. Gary (Damn Brit) is attempting to get the first SF/Bay area shooting day together, if you are interested let us know.
01-20-2009, 10:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum. Good to see another member from the Bay Area.
Frank
01-20-2009, 11:09 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I just moved to the SF area about 2 months. Before that I was living in Portland, OR. Before that I was in Vermont. I've been around I guess.

Anyway. I'd be interested in meeting some folks around town and maybe taking some photos. I'm more into scenes than anything else. I also like abstract lines and colors.

One of the reasons I want to shoot at night so much is that this city is just alive with color and on my 2 mile walk back from work every night I often say "wow that would make a great photo". Plus a lightler lens like the 50mm 1.4 would make my SLR a little easier to cary around.

01-21-2009, 02:47 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, now with digital you may now get your A grade instead of a C.
01-21-2009, 02:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums! There's quite a few Bay Area people on here. And I think the salesperson was just trying to upsell - the kit lens is far from being garbage
01-21-2009, 08:17 AM   #7

welcome!
I expect to see lots of pictures of the bay. I miss home, but Baltimore is starting to grow on me. Wish the weather would clear up so I can walk around and get some good shots.
-southy
01-21-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Welcome, now with digital you may now get your A grade instead of a C.
haha.. well that was about 6 years ago. I've forgotten most of what I learned. So I'm just shooting with my gut on what looks correct.

I'm sure there is a lot of information on these forums to help me learn what everything does on my camera and how to leverage it correctly

QuoteOriginally posted by southy:
welcome!
I expect to see lots of pictures of the bay. I miss home, but Baltimore is starting to grow on me. Wish the weather would clear up so I can walk around and get some good shots.
-southy
I'll see what I can do

01-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello, welcome to this great forum! Hope you'll enjoy!