Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2007, 04:16 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Noob

Hihi

I have had pentax equip all my life: MX and Z1. I have got into digital in the last year or so with the purchase of a DS.

I have a lot to learn about digital and am using Photoshop Elements.

03-22-2007, 08:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome! I have been using Pentax for over 20 years. My advice: assume your digital is a film camera with slide film. Also, stick with the controls and metering modes you are familiar with. Despite all added digital bells and whistles don't assume camera will think for you. It won't.

I am using my DS 99% of time with center weighted or spot metering and in M or Av mode, auto focus activated on OK button with selectable AF areas. So I prefer telling my camera what to do and when to do it, very similar to what I've been doing with MX, K1000 and ME before.
03-22-2007, 08:44 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Many thanks for the advice.
03-22-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi pschlute! You'll have a ton of fun here and gain a lot of advice too. I look forward to seeing some photos from you and some posts!

03-27-2007, 05:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Ivan gave some very good advice. When I first got a DSLR I pretty much treated it like a P&S, and it took some time to get over that mental block. Now I'm shooting mostly in Av & M, and even getting back into the manual focus.

You'll find lots of friendly, helpful people here. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your camera!