Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2007, 03:39 PM   #1
Inactive Account

New K10D Owner from Chicago

Hello from a new K10D owner from Chicago (though I currently go to Beloit College in WI)

I got into photography about a year and a half ago when I started using my mom's old ME Super that had been collecting dust for years. After using the ME Super for awhile, I decided that I really wanted a DSLR so that I could get instant feedback, which really helps when you're learning photography.

Last summer I ended up getting a Pentax *ist DL, which I had fun with for quite awhile. I began noticing the limitations of the *ist DL, though, and I really grew to dislike the noisy images that it produced. This February I went to the Chicago Auto Show, and all my pictures that I shot at ISO 800 were basically ruined because of the noise. After the show I began to look into getting a new camera.

I literally spent a whole month weighing the options. Since my view of Pentax's digital line was somewhat negative, given my experience with the *ist DL, I started out looking at the big two. The Rebel XTi was both cheap feeling and uncomfortable, so I quickly eliminated it. After checking out the Nikon D80, I really liked it a lot, but I wanted to see the K10D in person before I made the decision to spend that much money.

I had called pretty much every camera store in Madison, WI, Janesville, WI and Rockford, IL in an effort to find one in stock, but I came up empty. Finally I decided that I would try one last time to see one in person, and if I couldn't then I was going to go buy a D80 that day. I called all the places I called previously, but I also found a new place to call named Camera Craft in Rockford, IL. I called up and to my surprise they had a K10D!

I went there that night and I probably spent an hour talking to an employee and trying out the camera in the store. I was so impressed with the feel, build quality, and the amazing feature set of the camera that I bought it that night...even though I knew that I could save some money by ordering it over the internet. I am extremely happy with this camera, though I really wish that I could use it for my Intro Photography class (where we use black and white film).

Anyways, sorry for the long story, but I look forward to learning from you all.

03-22-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Hello Kendall,

Welcome aboard, good to see you here and enjoy your K10, it was my first choice when I went to the store but was told to wait for at least couple of months because of the back order. I settled for the K100 and love this little baby but then K10 is still in my heart. I still plan get it when I have enough dough.

Cheers,

Rene R
03-22-2007, 06:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Kendall and welcome!

good to have you onboard.... It was this board that convinced me the K10 was the right one for me.... and they were right.

now I am getting the LBA (lens buying addication) like so many others.... what out as it is contageous!

great to see you made a good choice and looking forward to your input

cheers

randy
03-22-2007, 06:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hey Kendell!

Nice to see another person from Illinois here and guess what... I live in Rockford and I bought my K10 from Camera Craft! Hit me up if you're ever going ot be near by and maybe we can hit the scene and take some shots and share some insight. Oh, you'll love the K10D and I too had the Dl and it really didn't seem that noisy to me..but I never really took an image at iso 800 but it's much less noisier than real film at that same ISO.

03-23-2007, 01:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, Kendall. Congrats on your purchase! I don't think I can count on one hand how many Illinois users I think I know or have seen now It's a good thjng though - you're part of a growing group of great people.

Hope to see some pictures and hear from you soon!
03-27-2007, 05:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum Kendall, I live "down the block" in Ohio, so we're practically neighbors!

I have a K100D and love it, but from what everybody on the forum says, the K10 is an awesome camera and I'm sure you'll love it.

Go have some fun, snap some pictures, and post them so we can see!