Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2009, 01:41 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hello from Nashville

Greetings to all. I'm new to this forum, but not to Pentax. As an "old guy" I began my serious shooting with a trusty K1000 (still have it) and moved on to an ME Super (still have it too). Later in life I got my hands on an istDL, and just this week moved up to the K10D.
I'm not a great photographer, but I enjoy it and it keeps me out of trouble.
I'd love any advice/tips from any and all K10D users, as it is light years ahead of the ist.

Thanks all,

Walter

01-25-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi Walter. Let me welcome you to the family as another K10D user.
01-25-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum there. Good to see more pentaxians coming to the surface!

01-25-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, just search the threads on K10D, you'll find loads of good information in here.

01-25-2009, 07:45 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the warm welcome. I've spent some time this weekend learning my new camera. I'm excited by the capabilities, but a little afraid of the lack of amateur easy buttons (The istDL had a lot of easy buttons).

I'll do a little browsing a try to learn a thing or two.

I'm open for suggestions on my next glass purchase. I want to sell the ist along with the kit lens and put that money into one nice, medium priced lens. Currently I have:
DA 18-55 ALII (the upgraded kit lens)
Pentax smc M 1:1.4 50mm
Pentax smc M 1:3.5 135mm
Quantaray 1:4.5-6.7 100-300mm (not good quality, but my longest)
Focal brand (Kmart) 28-80 macro zoom - I keep this one for nostalgia purposes.

And hey, if this is not the right place for this kind of inquiry, please feel free to direct me.

Thanks again,

Walter
01-25-2009, 08:01 PM   #6

Hello from Colorado

Hi.

I have enjoyed photography as a hobby since I was in college in Florida - borrowing my Dad's old Agfa 35mm and shooting B&W film. When I moved to Colorado, I purchased a Minolta Maxxum 7000i and have used it for over 20 years, exposing color print film. In the past year I started playing with my 1st digital camera, a Kodak Z712IS (7 MP, 12x zoom, in camera image stabilization).

Wow, the digital world is so convenient and enjoyable as I can get instant results and manipulate images to make them appear like I wish. My favorite image editing software is Picasa 3. I find that very minor edits - maybe a slight increase in sharpening and saturation are all that I need to do.

I am now considering a digital SLR as I want better optics, a less noisy sensor, and images with better dynamic range. It would also be nice to have a faster responding camera for sports and I am curious about working with RAW files.

I am leaning toward the Nikon D90 for its excellent sensor, convenient size, and decent 18-105 lens. The Pentax SLR's and optics seem to be a good value so I am considering those also.

My favorite subjects are just about anything that catches my eye - from people to animals (wild and domestic) to landscapes to sports to artsy abstractions. When I was unemployed for 3 months, photography gave me a reason to get out of bed and do something besides look for a job.

If you have any suggestions for Pentax equipment, I would love to hear from you!
01-25-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thomaspeople Quote
Thanks for the warm welcome. I've spent some time this weekend learning my new camera. I'm excited by the capabilities, but a little afraid of the lack of amateur easy buttons (The istDL had a lot of easy buttons).

I'll do a little browsing a try to learn a thing or two.

I'm open for suggestions on my next glass purchase. I want to sell the ist along with the kit lens and put that money into one nice, medium priced lens. Currently I have:
DA 18-55 ALII (the upgraded kit lens)
Pentax smc M 1:1.4 50mm
Pentax smc M 1:3.5 135mm
Quantaray 1:4.5-6.7 100-300mm (not good quality, but my longest)
Focal brand (Kmart) 28-80 macro zoom - I keep this one for nostalgia purposes.

And hey, if this is not the right place for this kind of inquiry, please feel free to direct me.

Thanks again,

Walter
Walter, you might want to post that in the Pentax SLR Lens section, please. Sure you will get plenty of answers there. However, this question is being asked quite a number of times. Have a bit of search the topic using search utility in the forum to do so

Hope that helps

01-25-2009, 09:52 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by phtonman Quote
Hi.

I have enjoyed photography as a hobby since I was in college in Florida - borrowing my Dad's old Agfa 35mm and shooting B&W film. When I moved to Colorado, I purchased a Minolta Maxxum 7000i and have used it for over 20 years, exposing color print film. In the past year I started playing with my 1st digital camera, a Kodak Z712IS (7 MP, 12x zoom, in camera image stabilization).

Wow, the digital world is so convenient and enjoyable as I can get instant results and manipulate images to make them appear like I wish. My favorite image editing software is Picasa 3. I find that very minor edits - maybe a slight increase in sharpening and saturation are all that I need to do.

I am now considering a digital SLR as I want better optics, a less noisy sensor, and images with better dynamic range. It would also be nice to have a faster responding camera for sports and I am curious about working with RAW files.

I am leaning toward the Nikon D90 for its excellent sensor, convenient size, and decent 18-105 lens. The Pentax SLR's and optics seem to be a good value so I am considering those also.

My favorite subjects are just about anything that catches my eye - from people to animals (wild and domestic) to landscapes to sports to artsy abstractions. When I was unemployed for 3 months, photography gave me a reason to get out of bed and do something besides look for a job.

If you have any suggestions for Pentax equipment, I would love to hear from you!
Sounds like you've been at the art for some time. I have a LOT of cameras, but most are antiques in a collection. I have only been serious using Pentax equipment, so I can't comment first-hand about the Nikon. I have a friend who is a pro and he shoots Nikon, but he has far more money than I have to devote to equipment. I can tell you that the K10D (I've had it three days now) is loaded with features, and so far takes great pictures. The philosophy I've been taught by numerous sources is to get a good body you can grow with (hence my move from the istDL to the K10D) and invest in good glass. Pentax has the best long-term reputation in the industry for lenses and I know from personal experience that they are incredibly sharp and clear.
If money is a consideration, you may want to consider the K10D or K200D. If money is less an issue, the K20D specs out as the best choice for someone who knows what they are doing.
I like Nikon, but since I am still in honeymoon stage with my K10, I can't imagine anything better right now.
Good luck in your quest to choose a good camera.

Walter