Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Getting a K20D

Hi everyone! Im new to digital SLR but not new to photography. Its been 15 years since I ended my obsession and pipe dreams of being a photographer. My wife dabbled in it, but her brother ran off with most her 35mm equipment. I still have a couple lenses and filters from my K1000. Point and shoot digital has left us craving more. So, our 1 splurge from the tax return were going to go DSLR. After a lot of reading weve decided on the K20D. I want to make my first step into DSLR fulfilling. Weve picked 3 lenses to satisfy our interest to start with. Im looking for any advise or criticism of our initial investment. Im in no way new to forums so Im thick skinned and can take what ever you dish out. The purchase has not been made so feel free to chime in. I am open to non Pentax lenses if they are top quality.

Camera:
Pentax K20D SLR Digital Camera

Lens:
Pentax SMCP-DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED
Pentax smc P-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL
Pentax smc P-D FA Macro 50mm f/2.8

Flash (undecided):
Pentax AF-360 FGZ
Sigma EF-530 Super DG
Sigma 530ST DG ST P-TTL Shoe Mount Flash

Accessories:
Pentax Remote Control F
Specialty filters to come later.

Please if you have any opinion of B&H Photo, Cameta Camera, or Amazon good or bad let us know. The one camera store here is all top in MSRP. So, this will be an on-line purchase

01-25-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, you've got some great kit there, enjoy the forum and your photography.
02-06-2009, 07:33 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I went a slightly different direction in my kit.

K20D
Pentax smc P-DA 18-55mm + UV filter
Tamron 70-300mm macro + UV filter
Pentax AF540 flash
Twin1 remote
Kata 3N1-20

Cameta Camera bundle:
Extra battery
8gb sdhc
hc card reader
camera bag

I decided to pass on the Pentax 50mm macro and get some macro extension tubes for the Pentax M 50mm I have from my K1000. To be completely honest this DSLR intimidates the crap out of me. My last SLR was my K1000 some 17 years ago. Today I’m going to pick up the easier reading Magic Lantern for the K20D. I figure after reading it the owner’s manual will be less intimidating.

Cameta Camera, prodigital200 (eBay), and prophotobags (Amazon) were pleasures to do business with.