Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Hello from Florida

I have been reading this forum for some time now, but haven't posted. So I figured I would start with an intro post to get the ball rolling.

My screen name is Spector and I live in Lake Butler, Florida; about 20 miles North of Gainesville where the National BCS Champions live. For those of you in other countries that would be the University of Florida Gators and the infamous "Swap." Oh, yea-my youngest daughter just graduated from there in December and was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the USAF. Anyway, about 8 years ago I became disabled (Lower back, legs, shoulders, etc. - yes, I use to play football, but that wasn't what caused the disability) I needed a hobby and took up photography, buying a Pentax K 10d which I love. I have some Pentax lens, but have become partial to Kiron lens after reading another forum.

I have the usual problems that a newbie would have, but my major one is getting a sharp picture. For the life of me when I look through that pin hole they call a viewfinder I can not see anything that could be termed sharp or in focus. I bought the Lupe and a "Katz eye" with no better results. Eyes have just gone South I guess. I wish I had waited a little longer and purchased one with the "live view" on it, which is exactly what I need (I think.) The other major problem is getting the right exposure. I have read many books but when it comes down to show time, I just can't seem to find the right combo.

Flash is another one. Since I am on a limited budget and everything went for the camera, I could not afford a Pentax flash. I read on this forum that a Nikon SB-28 would work, so I got one. An individual from this forum was gracious enough to write me back with instructions on using the two. However, his instructions read more like French than English (know who he is?) to me and I could not understand them. This isn't a dig at him, just the opposite. I am cursed by only being able to speak English, and I don't do that too well either. I did not want to write him back and tell him I couldn't understand what he was trying to tell me-so I still don't know how to use it. And I guess not being able to hold the camera still due to the injuries ( I do use the tri-pod at times) makes the photos look a little fuzzy, too. However, when the sun is out and I take pictures outside, the photos come out fairly well.

I do have one question that I am want to post, if it hasn't been already. What is the best, all-around lens that I can use on my K 10d for taking portraits? Oh, yea-and it won't break the bank? I have read so many reviews on various lens that I am more confused now than when I started!

Anyway, I love reading the answers to the different posts here-and this site above all, has some amazingly smart people here who seem to go out of their way to help people-and that is what I like. Thanks and I will talk (post) with you later. Spector

01-25-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

This is such a long post and really appreciating your time to write such a thorough introduction.

Look forward to your contribution here and welcome to the forum!!

01-25-2009, 11:19 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Welcome to the forum Spector, sorry you've been having problems with focusing and exposure.
Let's get focusing right before fixing the other stuff.
I'm assuming the AF works ok on your camera. Is it possible you just need to adjust the diopter? Put the camera on a tripod or stable surface so it won't move. Let the camera auto focus on an object then switch to manual focus. Look in the viewfinder to see if the image is sharply focused. If it isn't, the adjuster is in the top of the eyepiece, it's a little ridged piece that slides left and right. Use it to see if the image becomes clear. If that works, it is adjusted for your eyesight.
01-26-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks and Reply to Suggestion

To roentarre - Thanks for you post! Sorry I was wordy in my intro post-but the "outlaws" (mother-in-law) was here and I needed to look, well busy.

To Gary, Thanks for your advice. I took my camera and did as you suggested. I didn't need to adjust the diopter as both of the photos (in both auto and manual mode) were on target. I had to take photos in both modes so I could enlarged them to actually check the focus. I did this because as I was looking through the peep hole while setting up the tests in both the auto focus and manual mode, it was still hard for me to determine if the subject was in focus, or not. I was using a calendar on my refrigerator as the target- the numbers were the focal points. Maybe I needed to move up closer? Great eyes, huh?

Heres a question-at one point I took the O-ME53 viewfinder out to clean it. Being nosy, I unscrewed the gadget and after cleaning the two glass pieces I found I did not remember the order in which they went back. Yea, I know-dumb! Anyway, I think I have them in the right positions now but I am not 100% sure. I have looked on line for a guide on this, but have found none. Any suggestions on this? I don't know if that is the culprit, or if I need something with a lot more magnification to help me. Is there a loupe out there that can help magnify the view much larger than the one I have? Anyway, thanks for your interest, and I would love to hear what you have to say about the loupe and the other questions I poised yesterday. Have a great one Gary-and by the way, my name is Earl but I go by EJ. Thanks again EJ

01-26-2009, 08:41 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Spector Quote
I have been reading this forum for some time now, but haven't posted. So I figured I would start with an intro post to get the ball rolling.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]My screen name is Spector and I live in Lake Butler, Florida; about 20 miles North of Gainesville where the National BCS Champions live. For those of you in other countries that would be the University of Florida Gators and the infamous "Swap."
I assume you mean "Swamp," and we'll agree to disagree that Texas got tremendously hosed in 2008. I'm nowhere even NEAR a Texas fan, but they got hosed twice - first being shut out of the Big 12 title game, and second, when your gators beat a severely overrated Alabama team, and jumped over Texas in the rankings. The BCS game should've ended up being Florida against Texas, but watching Florida thump those Sooners suuuuuure was purdy!

I'm a Hurricanes fan, have been since I was a toddler, but when there's a team from the state of Florida going for it, I gotta root. And, for me, it's a GREAT season when both tOSU and Oklahoma don't make it

Welcome to the forums, and enjoy - it really is an entertaining hobby, and best of all, one that can be shared!

Tony
01-26-2009, 08:52 PM   #6
Damn Brit

Hey EJ, I'm a bit confused now, you said in your last post that MF and AF were in focus when you checked, that tells me you are focusing ok.
You may need to think about buying a different focusing screen that will help you to focus. Katz Eye make one. If you search in the Accessories forum you will find more info.

Regarding any other questions, I suggest you ask them in the relevant forums where you will get more responses. If you're not sure which forum to post in, just ask.
This is the Welcomes and Introductions forum, members don't usually look for questions here.