Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2009, 11:09 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Greetings from CajunLand, South Louisiana

Hi All
I'm Sid Barras from South Louisiana.
I'm a dedicated pentax user.
I started with a pentax spotmatic F.
Then I got an ES. Loved it. Bought another. Then I got an ESII, black paint. Loved it even more. THen I got two Pentax ES IIs in chrome. In my opinion, the most beautiful SLR ever made.
Then I graduated to the Pentax K2. (Into the beyond-- the K mount era)
I briefly had a KD DMD with all the fancy attachments, but traded it all for an LX with equally fancy attachments.
I bought an MX. Didn't like the metering system. (Blasphemy!)
Got another K2 instead. (Meanwhile, I still had all the M42 stuff, and continued to use it)
Then I bought the beast-- the 6x7. And several equally beasty lenses. Thought I would never shoot 35mm again; at least not for black and white.

I was happy for a little while.
THen the mini-cameras started appearing. I got an ME super. thought it was neat, a camera for the glove box.
Traded it for a Super Program. There's my second favorite pentax after the ESII chrome. An amazing machine in a tiny package. Of course, I like the LX, but the one I had was always fickle; in the shop more often than in my hand. Relegated it to the "collection shelf."
Got the SF-1. Shot with it for a long time.
Got the PZ-20 next. Nice camera. Saved up for th PZ-1. Then, almost as soon as I had it, here comes the PZ-1P. Of course, I got it too. Kept the PZ-1. Eventually added a second PZ-1P, and if film was still in vogue and my wife had let me keep my 3rd bathroom as a darkroom, I'd still be shooting the PZ-1P. A great camera.
Meanwhile, I'd slowly evolved to using the 6x7 for black and white plus-x pan and FP4+; the M42 cameras for kodak HIE infrared film, and the others for color film.

Got the MZ-S after saving for a year. But by then, the siren call of digital was too strong. I wound up selling the MZ-S for more than I paid for it...

I got a ZX-5n for my next glove box camera.

Then... Didn't get the first pentax digital SLR.
I waited.

Finally I got the DS-2. I loved that camera.
And last but not least, I bought the K10. Awesome camera.

I converted the DS-2 to infrared only by taking it apart and removing the infrared blocking filter and installing an 89b equivalent filter in its place. I don't recommend this at home. Too many things to go wrong, and I had to special order a hunk of opaque glass and cut it to size to match the blocking filter. expensive.

I also converted a canon powershot G5 to infrared only, with made to fit parts. Good results for a fraction of the cost of the pentax conversion.

Finally I am here today. I might get the K20; but if the next year or two brings a full-frame pentax (or even Samsung-- if something happens to Pentax) digital, I'll go for that.

But, I"m older now, and the days of 10 rolls of film a week are done. My photos are almost exclusively infrared now, and I shoot for my pleasure.
I still have most of the cameras and lenses I ever bought; they try to collect dust, but I give 'em a blast of air about once a week. There's still film in all of them, and they wait patiently, silent sentinels of the obsolete.

I didn't mention the lenses I have, but it would be an equally dull affair, so I shall spare you. I do hope to win the lottery or something, so that I can one day own every "star" lens and every "limited" lens. Meanwhile, I'll survive on nearly as good-as-that glass.

Goodbye from South Louisiana, from a good cajun, with roots from Church Point.

Sid Barras

01-25-2009, 11:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Another experienced photographer to join the forum.

Welcome and really really looking forward to see your photographs in the post your photo section.

Also enlighten us with your experience using various types of gears