Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2007, 03:12 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Greetings from Madrid (Spain)

Hi, my name is Rafael and I live in Madrid, Spain.

I am an electronic engineer, and photography is merely a hobby. My first SLR was a PENTAX MX, purchased on 1979 (that I still conserve along with three M lenses). After several years without taking any picture, I came back to Pentax and purchased an *istDS on 2005 that I sold last December to buy the new K10D.

I have many things to learn and very few to show, so don't expect many contributions from me in the beginning, but I hope to contribute with something interesting from time to time.

Cheers,

03-24-2007, 05:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hey Astur,

Welcome to the forums and congratulations purchasing your K10D!

I think you may already know from reading here and elsewhere the old lenses you saved will work with your new camera.

Doing more reading than posting? You'll get a lot of tips here and see a lot of beautiful pictures, but don't be shy to put a few of yours up - you'll learn faster with feedback from the guys here
03-24-2007, 06:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome!
spain is one of my stops when I become rich and famous

looking forward to your photos,

cheers

randy
03-26-2007, 12:52 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome. Next week I'm heading to Egypt in a holiday trip, but I'm afraid I won't be able of bringing with me all my photo gear, so I wonder what lenses should be more convenient. I lean towards getting the two zooms 16-45 and 50-200 mm lenses...

03-26-2007, 08:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

When I'm outdoor, I tend to use the zooms a lot, so I would use the 50-200. Indoor, I would use a prime such as my K28/3.5 or even the kit 18-55mm if I want to use my flash - I'm still trying to figure out how to use my on-board flash with my manual focus primes When I do, I might not be using the kit lens too much.

You can post this question in the SLR Lens discussion and see what others post, but ultimately, this is your decison. I think you've made 2 fine choices there.
03-27-2007, 04:35 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the input Alvin. I don't want to bother the forum with a simple question as that, which in the end depends very much on what kind of pictures the user wants to take. For what I've read the use of flash is not allowed inside the tombs, so I am leaving the AF-540FGZ at home and will use the on-board flash in case I need to fill some picture. We'll see the results...
03-27-2007, 05:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like if you get the 16-45 & the 50-200 you'll pretty much have all the situations covered. There are a lot of historical places that don't allow the use of a flash, so if you're limited on space you can probably leave the 540 home (like you said). Take lots of pictures in Egypt, and post them when you get back!

Have a safe trip

Carol

03-27-2007, 06:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Astur Quote
Thanks for the input Alvin. I don't want to bother the forum with a simple question as that, which in the end depends very much on what kind of pictures the user wants to take. For what I've read the use of flash is not allowed inside the tombs, so I am leaving the AF-540FGZ at home and will use the on-board flash in case I need to fill some picture. We'll see the results...
One thing I've heard people use is a large flash light (like a maglite) that can change from spot light to flood light. If you are going with a buddy, have him/her hold the flash light where you need it, and shoot away.