Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2009, 09:35 AM   #1

Hello from Nashville

Just received my K20D today! Busy reading the manual, but so far I love the camera. It's my first dslr, I am very excited. I managed to pick up some old manual lenses. I didn't get any auto focus lenses yet. Hopefully within the next two weeks. Any recommendations? Do you think it's better to start off learning with manual lenses, or am I making things more difficult?

01-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums. It might be best to review the Lens discussions to answer more of your questions. But IMO using an MF lens is a good start and can cause you to pay attention to what you are shooting. But AF lenses are better when things are moving quickly. A mix of both makes good sense.
01-26-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the Pentax Forums Family. If the K20D is your first DSLR, you might find using an AF lens at first will lower the learning curve considerably. The K20D's controls are designed for the more experienced photographer and are extremely powerful (and also rather confusing to a first time user). Using an AF lens would limit what you have to learn (at first) to use the camera. It would allow you to learn incrementally and not drop everything in you lap at once.
01-26-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Post one question at a time in the SLR lens forum regarding your queries of manual focus lenses.

Welcome to the forum