Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2009, 11:51 AM   #1

Introduction under inducement

Hi,

Just to introduce myself. Bryan. South Coast of England, K10D user and avid Pentax fan.

Long time dabbler, worked my way from a Pentax ME to a K10D via a selection of lesser cameras, now very happy except that its abilities so far exceed mine I'll have to retire and concentrate on photography!!

01-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well having more time for photography would be a goo thing! Welcome to the forums.

FYI in reference to the thread title. You got the email because the site has been getting more and more spam. It takes a lot of work to stay on top of this unwanted activity. So a new system is starting to clean up unused accounts and make sure the site isn't full of useless spam posts created by Bots.
01-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, least you got something to look forward to when the time comes.
01-26-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome

It is good to see you posting here

01-26-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for explaining why

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Well having more time for photography would be a good thing! Welcome to the forums.

FYI in reference to the thread title. You got the email because the site has been getting more and more spam. It takes a lot of work to stay on top of this unwanted activity. So a new system is starting to clean up unused accounts and make sure the site isn't full of useless spam posts created by Bots.
Peter,
Thank you for your explanation of why this was done. It is good to know that there was a valid reason for making sure that the "quiet" accounts were genuine users. I support and applaud the actions of the site moderators.
01-26-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

That was all there was to it. We had literally a couple thousand accounts with no posts. With increasing spam happening (the moderators most fun thing to look for), Adam decided to go through the accounts and try to verify the accounts were real. Once someone makes a normal post then the account is fine, even if they never post again. But Spam Bots could easily wait and use those zero post accounts that were created for only that purpose. Those accounts will be closed at Adam's discretion.
01-26-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
That was all there was to it. We had literally a couple thousand accounts with no posts. With increasing spam happening (the moderators most fun thing to look for), Adam decided to go through the accounts and try to verify the accounts were real. Once someone makes a normal post then the account is fine, even if they never post again. But Spam Bots could easily wait and use those zero post accounts that were created for only that purpose. Those accounts will be closed at Adam's discretion.
As someone who has had to manage sites with active users, I know this is an ongoing problem. it's difficult to know if there is some unseen vulnerability in website software, especially those written in PHP, since it is not based on a secure foundation. This sort of maintenance is a good dose of prevention.

01-26-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bryane Quote
Just to introduce myself. Bryan. South Coast of England, K10D user and avid Pentax fan.
Hi Bryan! Was in Dorset last summer and took lots of shots. Where are you?
01-27-2009, 09:47 AM   #9

I am in the same situation

Hi,
I just received a mail with the "invitation" to give a "sign of life". After reading several posts I understand the reason for that.
I like to read the posts and it is verry helpful but I would not be locked out from the forum. Discuss things in the forum is not my favorite pastime.... (sorry but english is not my first language).

Robert

K20 D and a lot of manual lenses....
01-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lenzkeeper Quote
sorry but english is not my first language
Yet you use it a lot better than some here!

Welcome, Robert!