Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hello from South Carolina!

Hello to one and all, all over the world!

I've been photographing since 1962, when I started using a Rolleiflex (twin-lens reflex) camera, which I purchased for the princely sum of $64.00 NEW! It was the least expensive camera in the Rollei line of products and I self-taught myself the basics with it and a Weston silicone manual meter. I still have that meter, but I a(sadly) sold that camera.

After using Nikons FM2, HP3, F4, and F5, I got fed-up with their weaknesses and traded them in @ B&H Photo. Money in hand, I bought a Contax N1 and a 24mm--85mm lens, a Metz 54MZ3 flash with a SCA 3008 remote and eventually a Contax 400mm F/4 tele (for the unbelievable price of $2200.00!!!!!). Unfortunately, and not long afterward, Contax exited the USA and I was stuck with film equipment and no ability to upgrade to a digital SLR, notwithstanding Contax's brief foray into digital via a N1D.

Being an avid film photographer, I had to be dragged into the digital realm when it was too evident that film was becoming quickly outdated.

So, I did some research and purchased a k20D, the battery power grip, and the following SMC DA lenses: 16-50; 50-135; and the 10-17. With a bunch of Cokin P-sized filters and B&W filters, I have now begun shooting in the digital age.

Although I'm once again lugging around considerable weight in my Tamrac #706 bag, it at least has a wide hip-belt. I have used this bag for almost 10 years and it is simply awesome for carrying gear. Very highly recommended. (I have even put it into the washing machine (1x) on gentle cycle and, as it tended to float, I helped it along by dunking the bag repeatedly into the water. Results--clean and with NO damage to the bag. Nice...)

My development as a photographer has evolved into enjoying photojournalism primarily, with travel (documentation) as a secondary liking. Historically, I have read a lot of photography magazines and have torn out many pages of photos, tips, etc., and put them into a three-ringed binder. This has allowed me to catalog various types of photographic techniques and is a great learning tool. Try it--you'll find it rewarding.

So, in the end, I'm beginning to enjoy digital photography, but have a lot to learn concerning post-processing (I do have Adobe Elements 6). Its a bit overwhelming and very time-consuming, versus film processing, but that's the way it is today.

I wish one and all a terrific year ahead.

Be Well and Go in Peace.

Jeff

01-26-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You are very welcome, I guess we all want to see your pictures soon! Experience is appreciated here I am sure!
01-26-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Jeff. Great first post and quite a lineage with cameras. PP work gets easier. You don't want to process much so you shoot better Welcome to the forums.
01-26-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum and appreciating such a well worded intro!