Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2009, 12:08 AM   #1

Hello from Port Macquarie, Australia

I confess to lurking on this forum for a number of months and finally decided to "take the plunge." I am a 35 year old stay-at-home dad (4 year old boy and 1.5 year old girl) living in Port Macquarie, Australia. For those who dont know, Port M. is a coastal country town about 400kms north of Sydney. Beautiful beaches and lovely rainforests make it (to me at least!!) an ideal place to live.

Anyway, enough waffling. Completely new to DSLR photography, I bought a k200d in October last year (couldn't afford k20d!!) with 18-55 kit lens. Have since acquired Sigma 70-300 APO and Velbon Tripod and have learnt so much...mainly thanks to all you people here in the last few months and unfortunately (for my bank balance!) have now been caught by the Pentax bug!

Looking forward to participating in this fantastic community and learning from you learned people.

02-03-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Welcome to the forum, you won't be new to DSLRs soon.
02-03-2009, 11:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Always a pleasure to see another Aussie popping up learning then shinning through

cheers
02-03-2009, 11:51 PM   #4
srp

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Welcome to the forum, you won't be new to DSLRs soon.
thanks...already stoked with the k200d.

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Always a pleasure to see another Aussie popping up learning then shinning through
cheers
Thanks as well.

02-04-2009, 12:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day, srp. You've started with a nice setup that will see you through many a summer. Alas, though, when it comes to Pentax gear the lure of "more, more" will never leave you. Better tell your psychiatrist now before you start muttering in your sleep.

Welcome! Enjoy.
02-04-2009, 02:24 AM   #6
srp

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
G'day, srp. You've started with a nice setup that will see you through many a summer. Alas, though, when it comes to Pentax gear the lure of "more, more" will never leave you. Better tell your psychiatrist now before you start muttering in your sleep.

Welcome! Enjoy.
Well Wombat, my wife already tells me i am muttering stuff like shutter speed and iso in my sleep so I guess I am now beyond help!

My dad bought himself a Canon EOS450D when he recently retired and now regrets his decision as my K200d "feels a lot better in the hand" than his EOS 450D. I recently took him out for some night shots in Sydney and, alas, it was raining. Guess who proceeded to get some great night shots of Sydney Harbour and guess who stayed in the car polishing his LCD screen?!

Anyway, thanks for your comments

ciao
02-04-2009, 02:59 AM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh dear, not much we can do at this stage for you srp - it's an infectious disease that just has to ride its course, which could last a lifetime! Enjoy it!

Looking forward to seeing Port Macquarie (and wherever else you go) through your lens!

02-04-2009, 03:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Welcome, SRP. Enjoy the forum, your gear and photography
02-04-2009, 03:11 AM   #9
srp

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Oh dear, not much we can do at this stage for you srp - it's an infectious disease that just has to ride its course, which could last a lifetime! Enjoy it!

Looking forward to seeing Port Macquarie (and wherever else you go) through your lens!
QuoteOriginally posted by dazman Quote
Welcome, SRP. Enjoy the forum, your gear and photography
Thanks Ash and dazman, i sincerely intend to share my photography experience with this community...have just posted some shots in the "post you photos" section titled "Taronga Park Zoo Sydney". .....many more to come.

Thanks to everyone for the warm and friendly welcome.
02-04-2009, 03:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

gidday srp, like you I'm new to Pentax dslrs and like you I have a missus who reckons I've become a chronic obsessive with photography. Good sport that she is even lets me play on Ebay letting me bid on weird and whacky lenses that will work on my K20d, at the moment it's seeing how many decent lenses I can get with sub $20 bids.
02-04-2009, 03:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum and hope to see you active in the forum.
02-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #12
srp

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
gidday srp, like you I'm new to Pentax dslrs and like you I have a missus who reckons I've become a chronic obsessive with photography. Good sport that she is even lets me play on Ebay letting me bid on weird and whacky lenses that will work on my K20d, at the moment it's seeing how many decent lenses I can get with sub $20 bids.
...yes i know what you mean. Currrently bidding on a lens as we speak!

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Welcome to the forum and hope to see you active in the forum.
Thanks...and yes, you will see me active on the forum.

Cheerios
02-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome aboard the good ship forum, will will find there are just one or two other Aussies in here too.