Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2009, 07:38 PM   #1

Hello from Minnesooota

Well, after agonizing over Nikon vs Canon for many months, I stumbled on some beautiful images from a Pentax camera on Flickr. After reading this forum and seeing the lovely primes that Pentax makes, I pulled the trigger (just before the price went up). Today I received my K20D + 16-45 + FA50 1.4. Deciding which lenses to buy was another agony. I decided to start with these. Already I'm loving the FA50. I can see now that I'll be buying more fast primes.

I was quite into photography 30 years ago in college with my indestructible Nikkormat (circa 1972) and 50mm. Everything manual, of course. So, I feel at home with the FA50 1.4. Looking forward to more adventures with this camera.

02-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new camera.
02-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome! You'll find that there are quite a few Minnesotans on the board. Enjoy your new camera and I look forward to seeing your photos!
02-04-2009, 10:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome. You chose a class-leading camera and very good lenses to start with.

This should make you feel at home!

(last was from Como Conservatory)

02-04-2009, 11:28 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Yaqin and welcome from someone who also went through the Nikon vs Canon plus, in my case, vs Olympus search.

QuoteOriginally posted by Yaqin Quote
Well, after agonizing over Nikon vs Canon for many months, I stumbled on some beautiful images from a Pentax camera on Flickr. After reading this forum and seeing the lovely primes that Pentax makes, I pulled the trigger (just before the price went up). Today I received my K20D + 16-45 + FA50 1.4. Deciding which lenses to buy was another agony. I decided to start with these. Already I'm loving the FA50. I can see now that I'll be buying more fast primes.

I was quite into photography 30 years ago in college with my indestructible Nikkormat (circa 1972) and 50mm. Everything manual, of course. So, I feel at home with the FA50 1.4. Looking forward to more adventures with this camera.
I still have my indestructible Nikkormat and 50mm 1.4: a very solid piece of kit. I also feel at home with the FA50 1.4, my first LBA indulgence. The more I use it, the more I like it. You're not alone here

I miss the brilliant Nikkormat focusing screen, but I'm learning how to use auto focus. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the subject.

PS. My Nikkormat is an FT3 from 1977, so it's much more modern and sophisticated than yours , still totally manual, but with the AI lens mount. It's got the prong for backwards compatibility with older F type bodies, but couples with the light meter internally.

Richard.
02-05-2009, 12:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hello from Minnesota.

I do not know where you live but I also am in Minnesota and have gone through the same revelations. After years of yearning after a truly affordable Canon digital with Affordable lenses, especially primes I was in National Camera to look at the new Panasonic G1 and liked it a lot but couldn't see myself putting my huge long super telephotos on that little body. Then I saw the relatively small Pentax units. Not being quite able to afford the K20D I decided to start small and bought a K100D. Now I have a new convert, my wife which is one Big surprise let me tell you! She likes it's weight, thinks it should weigh something and really likes the AF wide zoom. She didn't like our Canon P&S cause she couldn't figure out where to look to frame the picture. So now I have a suite of lenses, some of which came from the old Canon manual focus bunch, and may just spring for some of those older manual primes in the Pentax line. They all work on these beauties you know. So call me longing for K20D now
Alan.
02-08-2009, 08:07 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, sounds like another good case of LBA developing nicely.