Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2007, 06:51 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another Aussie on board

G'day all,

A new toy (K100D), lots of beautiful pictures to take in Brisbane, and not much time to do it all!

I too am an amateur taking photography up as a hobby and am pleased at the way the K100D can capture life in amazing colour and detail for the price. Not much I can fault other than the inability to change flash settings for M lens photography (unless I'm missing something).

Also, I'm wondering if there's a way for the camera to change its exposure compensation or flash intensity for bounce flash photography. Sorry if my questions are too simple - I'm still learning the camera's range of features.

Otherwise, it's well worth carrying around with me wherever I go.
Look forward to hearing from you all around the world.
Ashraf.
Brisbane, QLD Australia
K100D, Pentax DA 18-55, Centon 50/1.7, Sigma 70-300 DG Macro, Digital concepts 736AF flash

03-27-2007, 08:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum.

It seems there are more people taking up pentax gear in Brisbane than Melbourne!

Planning to head up north near the end of the year
03-28-2007, 06:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum. I also have a K100D. Unfortunately I don't have it with me, but I'm pretty sure there is a flash exposure compensation option in the menus. Hopefully somebody else will chime in on this.

I don't have and M lenses, so I can't help you out on that one. There are a lot of helpful people here, who know a lot more than I do, so I'm sure somebody will be able to answer your questions.

Looking forward to seeing Brisbane through your camera!

Carol
03-28-2007, 11:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi there, Ash!

Welcome to the forums! I have several old M and K series lenses and a K100D. The on-board flash will fire at full power no matter what, so to compensate, I had to set my shutter for 1/180 and then adjust the aperture accordingly (somewhere in the range of f8 to f16 if further or closer respectively).

I heard in order to get around this problem, you will need to purchase an external flash that can support P-TTL, so that is the AF360 or AF540 flash. I'll look for the thread and post it up here later on, so you can browse through it.

In the meantime, have fun!

03-29-2007, 04:24 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Flash compensation

Thanks Carola and Alvin,
I'll be trying out the different ways and let you know how it goes. As far as I know I have a P-TTL flash, but not a Pentax (Digital Concepts 736AF). It won't be anywhere near as good as the originals but it adjusts fine shooting straight on the subject. It's bounce flash that baffles me a little...

Carol, how does the 540 flash adjust for bounce? Do you have to change settings in any way for it?

Thanks for your input.
Ash.

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Hi there, Ash!

Welcome to the forums! I have several old M and K series lenses and a K100D. The on-board flash will fire at full power no matter what, so to compensate, I had to set my shutter for 1/180 and then adjust the aperture accordingly (somewhere in the range of f8 to f16 if further or closer respectively).

I heard in order to get around this problem, you will need to purchase an external flash that can support P-TTL, so that is the AF360 or AF540 flash. I'll look for the thread and post it up here later on, so you can browse through it.

In the meantime, have fun!
03-30-2007, 07:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi Ash. I pretty much use my flash on Auto, but there is a flash exposure compensation dial so if the flash is too bright or too dark you can bump it down/up. I haven't explored all the things you can do with it yet!
03-31-2007, 01:26 AM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xfraser Quote
Hi Ash. I pretty much use my flash on Auto, but there is a flash exposure compensation dial so if the flash is too bright or too dark you can bump it down/up. I haven't explored all the things you can do with it yet!
Cool - thank xfraser. I'll give that a try and see how it works out. Otherwise I'll just have to stick to flashless photography, or get a manual flash...