Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello from Ohio...

Hello Pentaxians:

I've been lurking on this site since June 2008. I am a "reformed" Nikon film shooter. When I decided to get into digital photography, I thought I needed to get a Nikon in order to use my Nikon lenses. I was agonizing over the choices--the D40X was in my price range, but the D60 had more of the features I (thought) I wanted. One day my wife asked, "Does it have to be a Nikon?" That was a good question; it didn't have to be. So, I opened my research to include all entry-level DSLRs. I went to all the review sites, including this forum. In all of my side-by-side comparisons, the K200D consistently came out the winner. When I went to a camera store and physically held all of the contenders, I was 90% sold on Pentax because of its build quality. When I saw the spectacular images in the Pentax Photo Gallery, and the super shots many of you include with your posts, I was sold! Caught a GREAT deal on a K200D with an 18-55mm kit lens on Amazon.com in September and I couldn't be happier with my choice! In two weeks I'll be heading for a month in Peru, and I've been promised a side trip to Cuzco/Machu Picchu (I know there are already about a gazillion pictures of Machu Picchu; nevertheless, there will soon be at least a gazillion and one!) Looking forward to posting when I get back. And, if I can raise my level of shooting to what I've seen on this forum and in the galleries, I'll feel justified in beginning augmentation of my Pentax "glass collection." (Sorry for the long post; after 8 months of lurking I got carried away.)

02-08-2009, 11:46 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Welcome to the forum, you can't wait to go on your trip and we can't wait for you to post some shots from that trip.
02-09-2009, 12:01 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A friend of mine went to Machu Picchu a few years back and said it was incredible! Hope you have a good trip and hope you get lucky to get a somewhat clear day when you're there as I've heard it's often cloudy and "socked" in. Get a graduated filter if you can to help bring more life to the clouds... Regarless, welcome to the forum and I'm looking forward to your travelogue!
02-09-2009, 03:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome & enjoy the forum. All the best for your holiday. Share some of your photos with us on your return

02-13-2009, 01:38 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Re: Hello from Ohio

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
A friend of mine went to Machu Picchu a few years back and said it was incredible! Hope you have a good trip and hope you get lucky to get a somewhat clear day when you're there as I've heard it's often cloudy and "socked" in. Get a graduated filter if you can to help bring more life to the clouds... Regarless, welcome to the forum and I'm looking forward to your travelogue!
Thanks a lot for the info, I appreciate the heads-up. At 2,430 m (7,970 ft) altitude, Machu Picchu probably has clouds and mist quite often, maybe even daily. However, John Reinhard, writing for National Geographic, was quite encouraging -- he said, "Misty conditions wrap the stone engineering in a soft cloak of magic and mystery." I'm pumped!!!
02-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Welcome to the forum, you can't wait to go on your trip and we can't wait for you to post some shots from that trip.
QuoteOriginally posted by dazman Quote
Welcome & enjoy the forum. All the best for your holiday. Share some of your photos with us on your return
Thanks a lot, gentlemen. I will post any *decent* shots I'm able to take. And, since my wife's nephew, with whom we'll be staying, has DSL, I may even post a few from Peru. Thanks again.
02-13-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum and glad to see people joining up to post here
02-13-2009, 04:37 PM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, a reformed Nikon user eh, that sounds like the begining of an AA meeting or a stop smoking group.

02-13-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, a reformed Nikon user eh, that sounds like the begining of an AA meeting or a stop smoking group.
LOL. Maybe we should start one!