Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2009, 02:21 PM   #1

Hi from the San Francisco Bay Area!

Hi everyone. I am very excited be a part of this community, I just ordered my new K20D after weeks of research. I was stuck in same dilemmas as most people. Do I wait for the next model or just grab the K20D while its at a reduced cost. And, all of my "friends" telling me that there are only two options, Canon or Nikon. After a poor experience with canons build quality and customer service I will NEVER go that route... I know I made the right decision! Anyways, my background in photography...
1. I used film SLRs for ages (Minolta X700 and Maxxum 70)
2. I have taken a few photo classes in high school (pre-megapixel digital) and college (film).
3. I am upgrading from my well used Panasonic FZ-8 super zoom.

Anyways, I look forward to getting to know you all!

Last edited by preventfires; 02-10-2009 at 02:42 PM.
02-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. Your chosen moniker is particularly apposite at the moment, in view of the terrible bushfires in Victoria and the threads about it on this forum. I know you get some bad ones in CA and I certainly hope you can indeed prevent them as the seasons get hotter.

Anyway, let's celebrate your entry to this most friendly band of fellow Pentax users. You'll never regret your choice, I'm sure.
02-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
Welcome to the forum. Your chosen moniker is particularly apposite at the moment, in view of the terrible bushfires in Victoria and the threads about it on this forum. I know you get some bad ones in CA and I certainly hope you can indeed prevent them as the seasons get hotter.

Anyway, let's celebrate your entry to this most friendly band of fellow Pentax users. You'll never regret your choice, I'm sure.
Wombat,
I sypathize with the people of Australia 100%, we have had terrible bushfires here as well. We were fortunate to have mutual aid resources provide assistance, some of which came from Australia. I have not heard if the USA has sent any firefighting resources to the AU, but I hope that our new administration returns the favor. Like Australia we are heading into another year of drought so I can only imagine what might happen.
Anyways, the reason for the name... I have a degree in Fire Technology and have state certs. for fire public education, fire prevention, fire instructor, just to name a few. My goal is to become a fire inspector... and someday, do what I can to prevent them.
02-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Hi, Preventfires,
First; Thank you for your service. I work in an oil refinery and the first responders there are a, well trained, couragous group.
I'm also new to this forum, and I live in Benicia.

02-13-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
Damn Brit

Welcome to the forum, there are quite a few Bay Area members now.
We are planning a local meetup in March, here's a link to the thread for it if you are interested; https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/gatherings-events-photo-trips/46369-sf-bay-area-meetup.html
02-13-2009, 04:31 PM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard, there must be something in the water in the bay area, as Damn Brit says, there's a good few folk here from that neck of the woods.
02-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Its great to hear that there are a number of people from my area who are active in the forums.