Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2009, 06:07 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
hi from Victoria Australia

Hi All
My name is John, I live in central Victoria, I use a Pentax 100d with Pentax 1.7 50m
lens and also a small Pentax zoom. I am looking at getting a larger zoom lens for the camera, needs to be under $140.00 Aus, zoom up to 200 or 300 would be great. Any information on older manual focus models and Pentax or Tamron? .
regards to all
John

02-13-2009, 06:17 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Welcome to the forum John.
I suggest you post your lens question either here; Pentax Beginner's Corner Q&A - PentaxForums.com or here; Pentax SLR Lens Discussion - PentaxForums.com.

I'm pretty sure you are going to have to go the Second Hand route for a decent zoom.
Try the Marketplace here; The Photographer's Marketplace - PentaxForums.com

You could even post a Wanted ad.
02-13-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Gidday John, I'm in Melbourne. Daylesford resident I see, a pretty place, I pop into occassionally when out for a day ride. I know a few folk there as well like a ratbag by the name of Henry who was running a bike repair business, and a bloke called Dean who I was doing an OHS course with.
Something I might suggest for the zoom lens that will suit the budget if you are patient, the Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6. It's not the most brilliant lens but for your price range obtainable second hand and very near new.It comes as a kit option and a few are on Ebay. Look in the slr camera section as well as The Pentax lens section. I've seen a few as part of bundled offers. I use one as I bought mine as part of a kit offer when I bought my K20D.
02-14-2009, 06:11 AM   #4
James S

Welcome!

I agree that either the Sigma or Tamron 70-300 is the best option to go. You can get these new for $249.

Either that or look out for an old Takumar or other K mount oldie on ebay secondhand...

02-14-2009, 09:05 PM   #5

Original Poster
hi daylesford

QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
Gidday John, I'm in Melbourne. Daylesford resident I see, a pretty place, I pop into occassionally when out for a day ride. I know a few folk there as well like a ratbag by the name of Henry who was running a bike repair business, and a bloke called Dean who I was doing an OHS course with.
Something I might suggest for the zoom lens that will suit the budget if you are patient, the Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6. It's not the most brilliant lens but for your price range obtainable second hand and very near new.It comes as a kit option and a few are on Ebay. Look in the slr camera section as well as The Pentax lens section. I've seen a few as part of bundled offers. I use one as I bought mine as part of a kit offer when I bought my K20D.
Hi
Yes I am just outside Daylesford in Musk, I ride a SV650, and yes I know Henry, did a great job on tuning my old 400 honda when I went on the lap of tasie a few years ago, the thing stopped about 6 times before I got to Melbourne, that is another story. Thanks for the info, have seen a few Sigmas and Tamrons on Ebay, but will check out your 70-300, and yes I do sometimes buy a bundle to get one thing, that is how I got my SMC A 1.7 50mm lens, then sold the other bits.
Thanks for the Reply.
Regards
John
02-14-2009, 09:07 PM   #6

Original Poster
zoom

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Welcome to the forum John.
I suggest you post your lens question either here; Pentax Beginner's Corner Q&A - PentaxForums.com or here; Pentax SLR Lens Discussion - PentaxForums.com.

I'm pretty sure you are going to have to go the Second Hand route for a decent zoom.
Try the Marketplace here; The Photographer's Marketplace - PentaxForums.com

You could even post a Wanted ad.
Thank you for your info, will check the other sections out.
Regards
John
02-14-2009, 09:11 PM   #7

Original Poster
zoom

QuoteOriginally posted by James S Quote
Welcome!

I agree that either the Sigma or Tamron 70-300 is the best option to go. You can get these new for $249.

Either that or look out for an old Takumar or other K mount oldie on ebay secondhand...
Hi James
Thank you for your information, a Tamrom 70-300 is up on auction at the moment, so will keep an eye on it.
Regards
John
02-14-2009, 10:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johntindog Quote
Hi
Yes I am just outside Daylesford in Musk, I ride a SV650, and yes I know Henry, did a great job on tuning my old 400 honda when I went on the lap of tasie a few years ago, the thing stopped about 6 times before I got to Melbourne, that is another story. Thanks for the info, have seen a few Sigmas and Tamrons on Ebay, but will check out your 70-300, and yes I do sometimes buy a bundle to get one thing, that is how I got my SMC A 1.7 50mm lens, then sold the other bits.
Thanks for the Reply.
Regards
John
Was that the same tour of Tassie where another Henry maintained bike, a Triumph Speed Triple I believe, was found to have the wrong bits hooking up the fuel pump to the EFI?
I'll have to PM you sometime if I'm planning on heading out your way to catch up for a bit of pic taking. And how are Pete and his Goldwing going, I think he's another ex Henry customer and one of your neighbours?

02-14-2009, 10:58 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day John - welcome.
Do post your captures with this new lens of yours, when you win it!
Hope things are alright your sides of Vic.
02-14-2009, 11:58 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello John, a warm welcome.
Daylesford, that is a place I really like. My daughter lives in Warrnambool and my wife I travel down there often, via Daylesford. A great place to live by all appearances.
02-15-2009, 12:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I go to Daylesford to buy the glass art work He is now retiring to start a hair salon to be run by his daughter...

The mineral water taste kind of funny as well

Welcome to the forum and look forward to your posts
02-15-2009, 12:31 AM   #12
Veteran Member

If you can get the Tamrom 70-300mm [ebay] for a good price, grab it.

Its a great starter zoom & also has the macro function.

Some purple fringing occsionally but easily removed in PP.

I have it & use it frequently.

Wal'

QuoteOriginally posted by johntindog Quote
Hi James
Thank you for your information, a Tamrom 70-300 is up on auction at the moment, so will keep an eye on it.
Regards
John
02-15-2009, 01:25 AM   #13

Hello John,
I'm from Geelong and I visit Daylesford occasionally.
02-15-2009, 02:50 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
G'day John - welcome.
Do post your captures with this new lens of yours, when you win it!
Hope things are alright your sides of Vic.
Hi Ash
Yes a great town, no fires around at the moment, but smoke in the air, will put up some pics as soon as I get my larger zoom, I live on a small farm and have about 20 kangaroos in the paddock right now, and 2 koalas in my forest, great pics.
Regards
John
02-15-2009, 02:54 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I go to Daylesford to buy the glass art work He is now retiring to start a hair salon to be run by his daughter...

The mineral water taste kind of funny as well

Welcome to the forum and look forward to your posts
Hi
Yes I know Don he does great work, I am also a artist I work in tin and recycled bits, I have a mineral spring near our farm and yes the water tastes interesting.
Regards
John