Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad I found this Forum

Have lurked here for a bit, and found this Forum to be civilized as well as informative, so I joined. Thanks to all for a very good site.

My newest film camera is a Pentax Program Plus (1986, full AE but manual focus) which I just took out for the first time in about eight years to see if I wanted to shoot film again. I decided not to, but noted that the camera is still in mint condition though I used it mainly while camping.

So now it's time for a Pentax DSLR! I've got my eye on the K20D 'cause I like full control, and it seems a great value. I haven't decided on initial lens(es) yet--your lens reviews are much appreciated. My newest digital is a Panasonic FZ10, which has an excellent Leica lens, so I wonder if I'd be satisfied with the 18-55 Mk II kit lens as a starter.

02-19-2009, 07:35 PM   #2

First off, welcome to PentaxForums!

If you ever decide that you do want to take up film again, you'll find the Film SLR section to be a very friendly and helpful place, as with the rest of the forum.

I have the original Mark I 18-55, and it's at least a decent lens, maybe nicer (I've only ever used it on a six megapixel *ist D, but never used any of my M primes on the DSLR so I can't really compare it to a nice prime). It's better than anyone else's kit lens, that's for sure
02-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum.
You just need to read the reviews on the AF pentax lenses to see what most people own and like the best. Good luck with whatever you deceide to buy.
Pentax Lens Review Database - Main Index
02-19-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, Skewed. We're also glad you found us!

02-20-2009, 12:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, Skewed!

Don't forget that whatever lenses you have for that minty Program PLUS will work just dandy on a new K20D. Depending on what they are you may have to tell the camera the focal length when you turn it on after attaching them. And if they don't have an "A" setting on the aperture ring you'll have to enable "Use aperture ring" in the setup menu on the camera. But other than that if they are K-mount it's plug-n-play and shake reduction works too.

As for the DA18-55 AL (I or II) kit lens suitability, you can judge for yourself:
PENTAX Photo Gallery - 18-55 AL I Photos
PENTAX Photo Gallery - 18-55 AL II Photos

Again, welcome aboard and welcome back to Pentax!
02-20-2009, 08:20 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum!
02-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the welcomes.

To Venturi: Thanks--there are some impressive pics on the Pentax Photo Gallery. It has occurred to me that I could try my old lenses on the K20D. Some do have an "A" setting on the aperture ring. I could compare the old lenses with the new.