Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2009, 10:09 AM   #1

hi, i'm vanessa

my dad just gave me his 1976 asahi pentax mx. i do film photography at school, so this is a very exciting moment of my life! he told me the shots come out amazing and i'm excited to plug in ilford 400 asa and snap some shots! however, the battery is dead because he hasn't used since the 90s. i took out the battery placed in the camera, and it says 'duracell 3v DL1/3N'. i googled this battery to see where i could purchase, and to my surprise it is only available online. i don't do online shopping! any tips or hints about my new pentax? and is there any other battery i can use and where can i get it? thanks!

02-21-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Vanessa, welcome to this forum! Don't know anything about a battery for your MX, but you could post your question also in the SLR Film Forum. People are very friendly here, so you will get an answer, I guess...

Good luck!
02-21-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Hey, I've already given a response in the other forum. The MX was my first SLR, given to me by a friend of my father. It may be worth it to get it CLA'd (cleaned, lubed and adjusted) especially if it's been sitting for a while. That'll make sure the meter is accurate and that no light leaks in if the foam seals are a little grotty and old.

It's a great small camera, with a nice quiet cloth shutter, and you don't need batteries to shoot, only for the little light meter inside. (it's entirely mechanical). You might sometimes wish for an automatic mode, but after a while you'll figure out how to 'bias' the meter to get the results you want.

Remember for good results you'll need good lenses, luckily there are some cheap ones that compliment the MX very well, the M 28mm f/3.5, M 50mm f/1.7 and M 135mm f/3.5 are all very sharp, compact in size, and can be had for around $100 or less each.
02-22-2009, 12:47 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Hi,and welcome to the forum.Other batteries that will work are eveready S76or malloryS76E.These are old numbers and you may have to cross reference,as long as they are 1.5volts.Mallory also made a L44 which was one 3 volt battery, otherwise you can go to 2 1.5 volt batteries.

02-22-2009, 04:48 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I feel sure if you go to a Radio Shack or Maplin Electroncs type of shop, one of the boffins in there will be able to assist you with an equivalent battery to meet your needs.