Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #1

New K20D user

Hello from Olympia, Washington. I've been reading posts on this (and other) sites for a few weeks while I've been researching for my first DSLR. I've had 3 Pentax film SLRs in the past and have been happy with them. Pulled the trigger and ordered a K20D body last week. It will be a few more days before it comes so I'm looking at what else I need to buy. Here are a couple of questions I have that someone may be able to answer. Thanks in advance.

1. Memory cards (SDHC) - looks like class 6 is the fastest and may be the best to get but class 4 may also be sufficient. There are a lot of brands out there and I've seen opinions on different manufacturers and specifications. Can anyone advise their experiences and recommendations specifically with the K20D?

2. Camera backpacks - because of the size & weight of the camera & a couple of extra lenses, I want to get something where the weight will be less of a burden while walking. I want to get maximum security against pick-pockets, etc though. Any advice?

3. Lenses (you guessed it) - I have an FA 28-80 from my PZ-10 and a Sigma 100 - 300 & an SMC A 50 F2 from my old ME Super. I ordered the K20D with the body only. I was originally thinking to buy a 16-45 first but I see now that this appears close to what my FA 28-80 would be on a DSLR? I am now thinking its best to upgrade the Sigma 100 - 300 first - probably with (maybe a DA 55 - 300 or something similar). Any recommendations? (my initial use will be mainly scenery, buildings, etc).

Ted

02-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Ted and welcome!

You should repeat your questions to proper threads (Lens, Accessories) and you will get answers.

1. I have used Trancsend (8 gb) and Kingston (4 gb) without any problem.
2. There is so many options. I have used Kata-backpack for short hikings.
3. I am using more of the short and wide angle lenses so I do not have any experience on lenses what you mentioned.
Cheers,
02-22-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
Igilligan

Welcome Ted... If you are in Olympia Washington I would get the DA 50-135 for the weather sealing and low light shooting... My memories of Washington State are fairly dark and soaking wet... insert smiley face here
02-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by howzat Quote
1. Memory cards (SDHC) - looks like class 6 is the fastest and may be the best to get but class 4 may also be sufficient.
Any main brand is OK. I use Crucial 4GB cards.

QuoteOriginally posted by howzat Quote
I was originally thinking to buy a 16-45 first but I see now that this appears close to what my FA 28-80 would be on a DSLR? I am now thinking its best to upgrade the Sigma 100 - 300 first - probably with (maybe a DA 55 - 300 or something similar). Any recommendations? (my initial use will be mainly scenery, buildings, etc).
Maybe there's some confusion here about focal length and field of view. Focal length is the same all the time. So getting the DA16-45 will give you something distinctly different than your FA28-80. And I'd say if you want to do scenery and buildings, it would be a fine choice.

The DA 55-300 might be a quality upgrade to the Sigma 100-300, but I'd do that only if you find something lacking in the IQ of the lens you already have.

I think perhaps the main lack is in a fast lens. The FA35/2, FA43/1.9 or FA77/1.8 are all good choices depending on your preference for FOV.

02-22-2009, 06:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome!

As for your backpack, I think I've got a good solution for you--the Lowepro Flipside backpack. What makes these unique is that the zipper to open them is on the front side (the side that's against your back), so you take it off, rotate it by it's waist belt to the front, open it, and get what you need without having to worry about anybody else helping themselves to your gear. They come in different sizes; here's the link to the smallest one: Lowepro - Flipside 200

Lenses: One thing you need to remember is that the K20's sensor is a cropped one, so when you put one of your film lenses onto the K20, the field of view is going to be a good bit different. The K20's sensor is cropped to 1.5x, which means that your FA28-80 will become a 42-120mm equivalent. If you want to go wider than a 42mm equivalent, then the DA16-45 (24-67.5 equiv.) would be an excellent choice. If you want to have almost the same FL coverage as both the 16-45 and 28-80 in one lens, I would suggest picking up a Sigma 17-70; for the money, it's an excellent walkaround lens and is priced in the same vicinity as the DA16-45, but with a more useful FL range, IMHO. I'll second Robin's opinion in that you don't necessarily need to replace the 100-300 if you find that you're happy with it's IQ on the K20.

HTH,
Heather
02-22-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I love the Pentax DSLR sling bag for a light wieght case that can fit a few lenses. It can fit tightly around you, and it's very comfotable walk around with.Digital Cameras | Cameta Camera - Pentax DSLR Sling SLR Camera Backpack Case - Black
02-23-2009, 04:43 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ted, welcome. Others gave you advises allready enough....
02-26-2009, 01:08 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks to those that replied to my questions. Here is an update:

My K20D arrived this morning. Have the battery charging right now. The more I read about lenses, the more confused I got - so I decided to look for a set of the kit lenses to start. I found a set in the marketplace sub-forum and have ordered them. Hopefully they'll be here in a few days. In the meantime I'll use what I have. Nobody advised to steer away from any particular brand of memory card so I'll just go with whatever class 6 I see at a good price. There doesn't appear to be one in the box so I'll stop off at Costco after work as they had a bunch on sale. Still undecided on the bag - looked at the Lowepro AW200 in Costco but some people recommend Tamrac and some the Crumpler style. I'll postpone purchase for a bit.

Looking forward to playing with the new toy.....

Ted