Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello boys and girls!

I'm excited already!

52-year-old fart here who used to be into film heavy way back when, but then life and boredom got in the way. So it's time to take my photography seriously again and not just crank out hundreds of crappy digital pics.

I decided about 6 months ago to get into non-sync 16mm cine work, and got myself a Russian K3 (m42 mount). Since then, I've been buying lenses like they're going out of style (I have like 10, all fixed), so it occurred to me--why the heck not pick up some Pentaxes and shoot film again?

I got my Honeywell Spotmatic last week, and my Asahi K1000 should be arriving today, with m42 adaptor. I have a Minolta Spotmeter as well, plus the full range of Cokin filters and holders for b&w work. (Nothing for color conversion yet.)

Gonna be shooting mostly Kodachrome, but we'll see. I never had a talent for b&w, and I OD'd on Ektachrome over the years. The most complicated thing for me is going to figure out this stop-down metering thing so it's second nature. The Spotmatic works differently than the K1000, and with some of my weird lenses, I have a bit to learn. For example, I have an 8mm Peleng, and I don't know HOW the hell that's going to work.

Anyway, thanks for having me, and I'll start reading old threads to start learning!

--Ira

P.S. I'm really looking forward to heading out with the gear in a week or two, and just taking my time to stroll and CONCENTRATE on taking good shots.

03-05-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum and surely you will find a wealth of information in the subofora here
03-05-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome! Be careful, or you might end up picking up a nice Pentax digital SLR, and produce 100s of excellent digital pics!
03-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcomes, and KRS, I hear what you're saying, but it's a different experience:

When you shoot digital, you can shoot a thousand a day. Each pull of the trigger doesn't have the same value as with film. You're forced to think more and do more with each frame of film because of the economics involved.

We'll discuss quality in a DIFFERENT thread, but of course I understand that the two mediums are closer now.

I guess it's like buying butter or churning your own. It's easier to buy, but it feels better to churn. And it DOES taste better, because there's more work and sacrifice involved in the process.

03-06-2009, 05:54 AM   #5
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Certainly valid points, and I have made my own butter before!
03-06-2009, 07:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ira, welcome to these forums!
« Hi there | Hello »