Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2009, 08:58 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
New to Forum, Longtime Pentax User

I just found the forum about a week ago but have been a Pentax owner since I bought an Asahi Pentax Spotmatic at the Weisbaden Air Force Base PX in 1971. I have been in and out of photography after learning darkroom work in the '70s and along the way I bought a ME Super (in the '80s), an *ist DL in 2006, and just recently purchased a K20D.

When I bought the *ist DL I started to take a lot more pictures. Being retired has something to do with it as does having the kids grown and gone -- more time for hobbies.

I still own all of the cameras and lenses that I purchased along the way. I've recently been enjoying using my screw mount SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4 in manual mode on my K20D. I've got a SMC Takumar 28mm f3.5 , a SMC Takumar 135mm f3.5, a Vivitar 85-200 zoom -- all from the old days.

The DA 18-55 kit lens, DA 50-200mm F4.5-5.6, and Tamron LD Di 70-300mm f4-5.6 are my current complement of lenses.

I'm seriously considering upgrading the kit lens to the PentaX DA 16-45 f4.0 after reading several reviews on this forum (and other online sites).

I hope to learn a lot from the knowledge base located on this forum.

Rick N

03-06-2009, 09:45 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Rick and welcome! I'm still a newby, but I can say that the site has a wealth of quality information and folks that are willing to share their knowledge. I just sold my 16-45 F4 for a DA* 16-50 and while I'm happy with the new lens, I kinda wish I kept the 16-45. It is a great lens.
Cheers
Steve
03-06-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thank you for writing such a comprehensive introduction to the forum and welcome on board. You will be an asset to the forum for sure.
03-07-2009, 06:52 AM   #4

rickn,

Do you know of a decent camera store in central PA? I'm originally from Lewisberry and manage to make it back home every so often to see my parents. A good store might make for a good diversion.

Welcome to the forum!

03-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #5

welcome!

Bought my first Pentax black body at the same PX in 1970. Took a hundred rolls of slides (or so it seemed) and sent them in the prepaid mailers to Rochester to be developed and forwarded to the folks in the States. Never saw a single picture I took until I got home on leave!
You are among the most knowledgable people around, you'll have a wealth of info here.
Jim
03-08-2009, 06:15 AM   #6

Original Poster
Bactman,
The only camera store left in the nearby vicinity is Carlisle Camera which is on Carlisle Pike in Hampton Township. They are pretty decent and worth a visit for a quick fix when in need!
03-08-2009, 06:20 AM   #7

Original Poster
Jim R,
Word of mouth was the name of the game and the Weisbaden PX had better selection and the best prices around among all of the PXs.

There was a darkroom available to GIs on the post and I learned how to develop film and to print B&W. I shot a lot of slides when traveling but got them developed there so I could see the results. I still have slide trays with these shots but haven't looked at them in a long, long time.
03-08-2009, 12:51 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rick, welcome to these forums!