Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2009, 11:57 AM   #1

Another Newbe on the Block

Hi, folks.

I've been searching and reading through the forum for the last couple of weeks and finally decided to join in on the fun. Now, I haven't had a real camera since my college days, but I've always been fascinated with photography and the process it takes to get those amazing pictures. Just in the short time I've been lurking here, I've learned a good bit about Pentax cameras, lenses, and post-processing techniques.

It's still a little bewildering to me right now, but I feel I'm in the right place to sort it all out. To help me get there, I've got a Pentax K10D body and Takumar 135mm f/3.5 lens on the way. And a genuine Pentax M42 Mount Adapter just got delivered today. And I'm already feeling the tug of LBA.

In any case, thanks for being here PentaxForums. Even though I'm a babe in the woods, I won't be making the journey alone.

Mac

03-07-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Welcome, K10 is a good camera to start with and the 135mm is no slouch. You will have the benefit of learning manual focusing which a lot of people prefer to do. I would suggest that you also look around for a lens in the 50mm range. At $200 you can do pretty well with a new FA50 or you can pick up a great old one for anywhere between $30 and a $100 Usually the bargains are the ones that come with an old film camera (check Craigslist) lenses on their own tend to cost more because the seller knows what he/she has.
03-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #3

Original Poster
DB,

Thanks for the welcome and guidance. It's good to know that I didn't step wrong in going for the Tak 135mm. My reasoning is to not have to undo bad habits with relying too much on automation and menus as I build my photographic skills.

Mac
03-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Then the Fa 50/1.4 might be a good option for you to look at. It doesn't feel that good to MF but it is full frame so it has an aperture ring. There are bound to be times when you will need AF so it would give you the best of both worlds. The old ones feel so great to MF though.

03-08-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Mac, welcome to these forums! I think many of the forum members would say every Takumar screwmount is more than OK...