Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2009, 08:13 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hello Pentax Folks

About Me-
Moved to San Diego at the end of December after living in Seattle over 20 yrs and loving it. Wasn't part of our long term plan but the SO got offered her dream job. Love vintage VWs, acoustic guitars, bad sci-fi movies, kitties, astronomy, working out, and life in general. Well traveled, ex-military, very blunt, and a bit educated but not a scholar. Been in the computer / technology field for almost 20 years and kind of sick of it. Currently just doing freelance tech work and playing "house husband" the rest of the time. I loathe bullies, yelling, screaming, rude arrogant people, and noisy children.

About Cameras -
I sold my old K-1000 back in the 80's and I have been using point and shoot digital cameras until now. Recently my fiance bought a new Canon DSLR to use with our telescope and our desert hiking trips. I started playing around with it some and got bit by the SLR bug again. The Canon is nice but I am the type of guy that would rather drive the 40 year old VW bug than the new Scion - so I decided I need the VW bug of cameras and bought somebody's old K-1000 kit and a bunch of goodies on ebay. Things are arriving and I plan to shoot a couple test rolls this weekend after I clean the old girl up a little and put the new light seals in. Want to take a drive out to Joshua Tree in a few weeks and pull an all nighter with the telescope, plus do some night shots with the Mighty "K".

The SO raised her eyebrows a bit with that "What are you thinking" look when I took the K-1000 out of the box after our friendly UPS man dropped it off. I told her "Real cameras don't have computers and come in manly brown imitation leather cases" (and flexed a little...)

I figure I will break down and get a Pentax digital body at some point, but just want to play with the old one for now and eventually set a small darkroom up again (we are looking at foreclosed houses now)

Looking forward to getting to know you folks and "re-educating" myself to the manual Pentax world.

03-13-2009, 08:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi

Keep in mind that while it's a good idea to get a digital body these days, you can still continue using both. It's very easy, as you can share the lenses between the two bodies - something she can't do with her's with a film body that old. I usually go out either with a film body, or both film and digital bodies, very rarely with digital only.

Welcome to the forum, keep posting
03-13-2009, 09:11 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I loathe bullies, yelling, screaming, rude arrogant people, and noisy children.

Welcome to the forum. If I had a business card, I think your statement would describe me pretty well.
03-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi there, welcome to these forums!

03-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bad Sci-Fi films? Can you provide examples. I want to see if I've missed any.

Dan.
03-19-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Bad Sci-Fi films? Can you provide examples. I want to see if I've missed any.

Dan.
Heh, some deserved to be missed. We have a bad movie night / casual dinner every Wed night. Usually it is sitting on the floor room only and most of the crowd is made up of planetary scientists and aerospace people (all forbidden from arguing about how realistic or valid the science is in the movie while they are here)

This week for movie night (in memory of the poor little bat that rode the shuttle's external tank up after launch) we watched the 80's classic "Lifeforce" - life energy sucking space vampires that ride by with a comet every time it passes.

We will probably watch the various versions of Matheson's 50's novel "I am Legend" over the next few weeks - in order of course "The Last Man on Earth" with Vincent Price, "Omega Man" with Charlton Heston, "I am Legend" with Will Smith, and the new Sci-Fi channel "I am Omega" with Mark Dacascos that I will capture on the DVR this weekend (though after seeing the actual trailer for "I am Omega", I just don't remember the hero facing off against the army of plague zombies with nunchuku in the book...)