Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2009, 03:57 PM   #1

New proud DSLR and K20D owner

Hi all! I was referred to this forum from the dpreview forums. I purchased my K20D and lenses in March and I'm looking forward at learning how to use it. As I'm reading through the manual, I find it is pretty good at telling me how to use the various functions and settings on the camera, but I'd love if somebody could point me to a resource that could tell me why or in what situations I should use particular functions or settings.

Thanks!

Craner

03-15-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Welcome, glad you found us. To answer your question, the Magic Lantern guides are pretty good for answering those questions for your particular camera. It's more 'How To' and 'When'.
Understanding Exposure is the book most people will recommend to you, it's almost considered required reading.
I've also heard good things about the 'Digital Photography Book' by Scott Kelby
03-15-2009, 04:16 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Gary,

Funny you should mention those two books. They are the only two photography books I have on order from Amazon. I feel better about my purchase already.

Craner
03-16-2009, 05:58 PM   #4

Pentax K20D Book

Hi,
I've found a self-published book on the K20d by Yvon Bourque. Available to download as an e-book, or purchase, from k10dbook home.

It has a lot of the why and when, not just the how....

cheers,
Alison:

03-17-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Craner, welcome. I think this is the place to ask your questions!
03-19-2009, 09:25 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alison Howson Quote
Hi,
I've found a self-published book on the K20d by Yvon Bourque. Available to download as an e-book, or purchase, from k10dbook home.

It has a lot of the why and when, not just the how....

cheers,
Alison:
Thanks for the recommendation, Alison.

I purchased the book & through Chapter 2 it is so far a good read (certainly an upgrade over the manual). It helped me understand the purpose and use of many of the K20D's menu items & helped me customize the camera for how I intend to use it. I'm thinking about making pocket-sized laminated cheat sheets with my notes that I can bind with a small key ring and put in the camera bag.

Best,
Craner