Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi y'all from Virginia

Ok, virginia beach does not really slur like that except on TV. This is my first day on the forum and my first week as a Pentax SLR owner. The forum was a life saver helping me research and decide on my own which camera and lenses to start off with. Thanks guys and gals. I am normally a computer forum geek but will haunt here now as well. Most of my shooting will be creeping in the marsh looking for waterfowl. I swapped my shotgun for a camera. Been using a Panasonic FZ-30 with a 1.7 extender. Great reach but even greater PF/CA so i have learned PP well!

Lee

ps - i am a noob with a real slr so ANY advice ppl want to shoot my way for outdoor pics with the k20d will be appreciated.

Pentax K20D
Pentax DA 16-45 f/4
Pentax DA 55-300 f/4-5.8

Last edited by imtheguy; 04-14-2009 at 01:09 PM.
03-17-2009, 05:31 AM   #2

Welcome. As for advice, take lots of pictures. Lots - 90% will probably be rubbish. But digital is free.

Otherwise, pick up books by Bryan Peterson "Understanding Exposure" as well as Scott Kelby's series on how to take better photos. Have fun in the marshes.
03-17-2009, 06:05 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi and Welcome!!

Please be sure to go to Sandbridge and take some pictures for me!! I sooooo miss it there!! And also the Norfolk Botanical gardens, monster trucks on the beach, and if you really get picture happy, take a ride to Corolla and find the wild horses.... I could go on for hours....
03-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Lee, welcome!

03-17-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, i have pics of the horses in both Corolla and Sandbridge as they roam the entire restricted beach that separates the two areas. Just South of Sandbridge is a Federal wildlife refuge. Lots of water, marsh, ocean. My stomping grounds. Thanks for the reply. Come visit!
03-17-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Welcome from a fellow Virginian not too far away.
03-17-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Yes, i have pics of the horses in both Corolla and Sandbridge as they roam the entire restricted beach that separates the two areas. Just South of Sandbridge is a Federal wildlife refuge. Lots of water, marsh, ocean. My stomping grounds. Thanks for the reply. Come visit!
When we went to Sandbridge, we saw the footprints, but never saw the horses.

Visit?! Shoot, I'd love to move back!! We lived there for 16 years before hubby retired from the Navy. And I had an excellent job at NNSY working as a contractor for CDI. One of these days we'll be back. Or atleast we'll move to NC where my family lives.

03-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
here are the horses that made the tracks

i found an old snapshot of the exact horses that are guilty of making those tracks you discovered. This was taken the first warm day in march, 2003 at the very south end of Sandbridge. For real. now I need CSI-VaB to match up the hoofs for you.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
FinePix 3800  Photo 
03-17-2009, 04:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the shout-out Squarerigger. I like your outdoor pics, especially the opportunity to have a wood duck come within 20m and sit a spell.
03-17-2009, 05:08 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bactman Quote
Welcome. As for advice, take lots of pictures. Lots - 90% will probably be rubbish. But digital is free.

Otherwise, pick up books by Bryan Peterson "Understanding Exposure" as well as Scott Kelby's series on how to take better photos. Have fun in the marshes.
Thank you. I have heard of Bryan's book but have so far managed to avoid any books and just shoot, shoot, shoot. Thats the fun part. But I'd like to start understanding more also thus I WILL read the book, not just chew on the cover.

and yes, 90% is about right for my (lack of) skill level!
03-17-2009, 11:50 PM   #11

Hi Lee,

Welcome and enjoy the forum. (like I do)
03-18-2009, 05:51 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
i found an old snapshot of the exact horses that are guilty of making those tracks you discovered. This was taken the first warm day in march, 2003 at the very south end of Sandbridge. For real. now I need CSI-VaB to match up the hoofs for you.
Lol, thanks! Too bad they couldn't get Grissom to go to VB instead retiring...

Hey can I get a full version of that? My neices in NC are into horses and everytime I find a decent pic, I have it blown up and send it to my Mom to frame for them.