Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #1

Pentax in AZ

Hi everyone, just joined the "club" with a new K200D after a couple of weeks of researching. The Canon XSi and Nikon D40/D60 were also considered. But there was something about the in-body anti-shake, dust seals (this is AZ!) and ability to use old lenses that caused the Pentax to win. I also did a lot of lurking on this forum reading your posts as well. I'm looking forward to many nice shots of my beautiful state, and sharing info/ideas with you all.

One big mystery however. Maybe this is some sort of Pentax fraternity hazing ceremony or something. There is a little plastic thing described as an eyepiece cover in the manual. Yet there is no instruction on how or were this stupid thing goes. 3 relatively intelligent adults have all attempted to figure it out and have failed.

Does anyone have the scoop on this thing, or is it an inside Pentax joke? Like the snipe hunts of our youth....

Regards,

Ken

03-23-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Don't know about the eyepiece cover as I've never used it. Congratulations on your new camera and welcome to the forum.
03-23-2009, 11:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from Oz where it also gets dusty. Where is the eyepiece cover mentioned?
03-23-2009, 11:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You use the eyepiece cover is used to cover the viewport/viewfinder - that thing you stick your eye on . It's typically used for shooting long exposures, and for protection when the camera is stored, but you can use it anytime you are shooting without your eye stuck to the back of the camera. It blocks any stray light from bleeding through the viewfinder and tainting your exposure. Take the foam rubber eyecup off and slide the cover in its place.

(I think it was Gooshin that did some tests a while back and demonstrated that having it on does affect metering as well.)

03-24-2009, 06:10 AM   #5

Original Poster
Venturi, thanks, we will give that a look. Doesn't sound like something I will use too often, and will probably end up lost in the desert somewhere. Sorry I used the word "eyepiece" instead of "viewfinder", that was kind of confusing.
03-24-2009, 08:36 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, there is a guy on the other forum who organizes pentax meets- once you get comfortable with your equitment you should check it out.
03-25-2009, 01:21 PM   #7
Forum Member

I got my K200D a few week ago. Great camera and features. I love the AA batteries. I used them on my old Kodak point & shoot. I got several sets and a IKEA chareger (nothing fancy).

What len(s) do you have ?
03-26-2009, 04:47 PM   #8

Original Poster
So far I have the kit lens 18-55 that came with it, and a Sigma 70-300 APO. I am already having fun on ebay and craigslist scrounging for used stuff.

Now I need to figure out how to drive this thing. I'm about 1/2 way through David Busch's book so far.

Can't wait to get this guy out in the desert this weekend as it is a-bloom, the poppys are out and the cactus can't be too far behind.

Last edited by Azuwere; 03-26-2009 at 05:00 PM.
03-29-2009, 04:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Welcome, and looking forward to see your posts
03-31-2009, 01:53 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Ken, a late welcome from me too!