Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2007, 02:15 AM   #1

Hello

I'm new to digital slrs. Haven't used a camera since about 1973, at that time some partners and I bought and ran a hot springs resort in central idaho mountains. Mark had a viewfinder given from his dad who was a US diplomate over seas, called it a spy camera. Only remember that the lense said made in Germany, the make of the camera was meaning less to me since there was no access to learning information exept at one point two apple boxes full of mid 1950's photo magazines from one of the ranchers barns that smelled like mold, had to study them from his barn because they didn't want to smell them at the lodge.

So my interest began with a borrowed camera shooting 400 slide film and the instruction paper that comes in the film canister. Could only afford to send out for developing 200 miles away two or three rolls a month so every exposure had to count as experiment to learn. After learning the limitations of the camera it's use was pretty much straight forward. There was so much human activity around the lodge and we got around the remote country side building power and phone lines to make money that there was no lack of interesting subjects. Thinking back now about some of the exposures there is no doubt the lense was assume. I made about ten great photoes in the two years I was there, lots of nice stuff but only ten great and out of those ONE that was amazing. Thinking back wile learning about this electronic photo art this last winter there were four elements that came to getter in those great photos. First the lense was assume, the light in the nountains was clean no pollution and high altitude, the subject matter had multiple elements, and I was out there moving around being in the right place at the right time. Also I did not have any instruction telling me that I could not do that with the camers so my imagination was not limited.

Thanks to the members here and dpreview for sharing there expertise.

04-12-2007, 08:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The great thing about DSLRs is you don't have to worry about the cost of developing the film, so you can experiment all you want, try lots of different things that you wouldn't want to "waste" film on, so your imagination is even more unlimited!

Looking foward to seeing some of your pictures.

Carol
04-13-2007, 10:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When I was a kid, I learned with my dad's point and shoot what you mean by every shot has to count My dad still has that camera in his garage and teases me with it whenever I make a mistake on my digital camera

Glad to have you on board! Welcome!