Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2009, 08:15 AM   #1

I am going to Convert

Hi I made an simular post in the beginers forum. But Im planning on switching from a nikon D40 to a Pantex because I love primes and limmiteds look so good and the weather sealed bodys and lenses at the prices thet are a steal.

I take mostly landscapes want to get more in wildlife and enviromental photograhy. I also am planning on using photograhy to bike touring. This is my galery Ronin19's deviantART gallery
It will take about a year a get the funds. Untill then I want to hear updates on pantex and hear your views and oppinons, and learn somethings about photograhy.

04-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #2
emr

Nikon D40 to Pantex - you must be seriously disappointed!

Pantex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

QuoteQuote:
The Pantex plant is America's only nuclear weapons assembly and disassembly facility

Sorry, just couldn't resist. Welcome to the forum.
04-09-2009, 09:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote

Classic, just classic
04-09-2009, 09:37 AM   #4

Original Poster
LOL bad misspell

04-09-2009, 09:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
PANTEX Cameras - Weapons Grade Photography!

Hope you don't mind us having a little fun at your expense. Welcome to the forums and the Pentax experience.
04-09-2009, 10:10 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote

Maybe this "Freudian slip" means that Pentax blows the others away (especially the D40)?
04-09-2009, 10:28 AM   #7

Original Poster
Its all good fun I didnt even think when I misspelled it

04-09-2009, 11:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome, please don't shoot me!
04-10-2009, 02:55 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Also new here

I am considering buying my 1st DSLR; all my digital experience has been with compacts. I live in the Philippines-Cagayan de Oro city and Princeton BC Canada. I am here because I am very interested in a well built weather sealed camera. I have been looking at the K200D but I don't know if I would miss the live view(in bright sunlight not very visible) all my compacts have had. So am now considering the K20D. My budget is limited, will most likely shoot wide angle- street scenes and landscape. Lens prices scare me.
04-10-2009, 03:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hendrik Quote
I live in the Philippines-Cagayan de Oro city and Princeton BC Canada.
That commute must be tough.
04-10-2009, 01:55 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I have been looking at the K200D but I don't know if I would miss the live view(in bright sunlight not very visible) all my compacts have had. So am now considering the K20D. My budget is limited, will most likely shoot wide angle- street scenes and landscape. Lens prices scare me.
Hendrik, welcome. When I got a DSLR a couple of years ago (a K100D Super at the time) I did find I missed the LV of a P&S. But that feeling didn't last long. You soon come to realise that LV, while useful in some specific situations (studio; over the head crowd stuff if you have an articulated LCD screen), is not very useful in general situations.

1. You don't get steady camera control with the camera held at arms length.
2. As you mentioned, sunlight problems.
3. General slowness of the refresh rate - a lag as you pan.
4. Difficulty following a fast moving object.

I've hardly ever used the LV on my K20D and would not miss it if was not there at all.

An high performance electronic viewfinder would be interesting (latest Panasonic) and may well become more common in the future, but at this time, the optical VF on a DSLR, with reviewing afterwards from the LCD, works well.

The cost of new lenses scares me too. I don't have a lot of money to spend on this hobby as I've got 4 young kids. The only new Pentax lenses I've bought were a Mk. II kit lens (18-55/F3.5-5.6 II) for the K100DS (it came with a crappy Sigma lens) and a DA 55-300/F4-5.8.

My current general-use lens on the K20D is the DA 16-45/F4. I got this for a good price 2nd hand.

Otherwise I have older, mainly manual focus prime lenses. If you are doing static shots (flowers, portraits, landscapes), MF is not a problem. I've managed to buy a number of good-quality old lens at good prices on ebay. So I'd suggest 1 or 2 modern zooms, and the rest, M42, K, A series lenses.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 04-10-2009 at 10:10 PM.
04-10-2009, 08:41 PM   #12

Original Poster
Im fully use to DSLR I have an old canon AE-1 with a few primes and have used more compact DSLRs. Im willing to wait to save up money for one. I love primes and nice zooms.

I think the best way to learn is to start out with primes so you stop and think of what your doing... I courently own a wide angle zoom kit lens I wish I had a 40mm limited. I think for you K200 would be good
04-10-2009, 08:53 PM   #13

Original Poster
I am considering buying my 1st DSLR; all my digital experience has been with compacts. I live in the Philippines-Cagayan de Oro city and Princeton BC Canada. I am here because I am very interested in a well built weather sealed camera. I have been looking at the K200D but I don't know if I would miss the live view(in bright sunlight not very visible) all my compacts have had. So am now considering the K20D. My budget is limited, will most likely shoot wide angle- street scenes and landscape. Lens prices scare me.
I say go for the K200 that would be a great start. The liveview on th K20 from what I hear is crap you should focus on getting use to a viewfinder, personaly I think its way more acurate and Ive used DSLRs soo much I cant stand using a P&S anymore. I also think primes and a cheap zoom is a way to start. you can get really good glass for a desient price and they help with learning compesition. Thats one of the resons I want to go to pentax because of all the cheap primes
04-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #14
Site Supporter

At the risk of turning ecoronin's intro into a general discussion....i find the K20D LV has one actual good use and that is for manual focusing, easier indoors and tripod of course. If you have a lot of cheap primes as you say your eyes must get tired at some point and using a 2.7" window instead of the eyepiece can extend the shoot as well as help with accuracy as you can zoom and check DOF in the LV window while composing. I never used one on my P&S to actually compose and shoot in auto.